• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quick question: A couple of guys here said that they had no previous 121 experience. I thought AirTran required at least 500 121 Turbine PIC as a minimum? That they wouldn't take anyone that hasn't been a 121 captain at some point? Has this changed? Or is there some kind of 'military exemption'?

Health Care... Me and the two kids only... PPO Platinum. (I believe) in network.

PPO Platinum 131.69 x 2

Dental Platinum 15.65 x 2

Put the wife on her own plan if you can.

Life insurance and ADD extra $$ Not too bad...

500 hours 121 PIC?

HoursHore said:
It hasn't changed. The requirement has always been 500 hours 121 or mil equivilant.

What is the reason for this requirement? The only difference in what I do as an f/o and what the captain does is that he signs the manifest and dispatch release. One would think that 6000 total and 2500 hours 121 SIC, all jet, would make a nice pilot for Air Tran.

IHF

I Hate Freight said:
What is the reason for this requirement? The only difference in what I do as an f/o and what the captain does is that he signs the manifest and dispatch release. One would think that 6000 total and 2500 hours 121 SIC, all jet, would make a nice pilot for Air Tran.

IHF

Same reason they seem to think 5000 PIC hours in a Boeing Business jet is worthless unless it's under part 121. Because it's a dumb requirement.

"Dumb" all depends on your perspective I suppose. Many consider SWA's type rating at your own expense "dumb", but I'd bet SWA management doesn't think so.
The 500 hours of 121 or mil equivalent probably has a reason behind it that only some know about.

Thanks for the inputs

All,

Thanks for all the inputs and advice so far. I have been reading up on Part 121, reviewing Part 91, and studying Jepp charts (since we don't use them much in the AF).

$500 for health ins does seem high based on what other airline pilots have told me that they pay. Hopefully this will change in the future.

There is a big difference between what the capt does and what the fo does. Once you've been a capt you will appreciate this difference. It may seem like the same job on the surface, but when the sh*t hits the fan it is usually the experience of the person in the left seat that makes the difference. Decision making is not always easy, and that is why we hire captains, not copilots. That being said I wish we would change our policy to include biz jet capts. There are many out there who are more than qualified.

mnboyev said:
Health Care... Me and the two kids only... PPO Platinum. (I believe) in network.

PPO Platinum 131.69 x 2

Dental Platinum 15.65 x 2

Put the wife on her own plan if you can.

Life insurance and ADD extra $$ Not too bad...

How much extra would your wife be to add on your insurance?

I have the Silver HMO option, $100 per paycheck ($200/month) for me and my wife. Contrary to what someone said, I think the coverage is pretty good ($10 co-pays, 100% hospitalization, etc) premiums are high.

Our contract allows for a 15% annual increase in employee contribution and the company has been sticking it to us.

Latest resources

Back