Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran to Sell two more planes; tougher union talks ahead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, That brings legitimacy to the table.....

Gee!! a retired guy with a lump at Airtran, (GASP!)......newsflash...nobody QUITS to go there.....

Apparently, you missed the point.

We have over 1,000 pilots who were hired post 9/11 and they came from everywhere, including Delta, NWA, UAL, ATA, AA, TWA, Midway, Emery, Sun Country and many others . . . .

The point was that when some new-hire at Delta is running his s#!t-eater about the "AirTran" pilots, he has no idea who he is talking about . . . . chances are, most of them have a lot more experience in this industry and have paid their dues far more than he. . . . . a point re-inforced by his obvious need to throw rocks at the AirTran pilot group. . . . obviously, he's feeling a little outclassed in his new home at Delta.

Last edited:
AirTran to sell two more planes; tougher union talks ahead?

posted by Jason Garcia on Mar 3, 2008 9:52:20 AM

Orlando-based AirTran Airways will sell two jets in April, AirTran President and Chief Executive Bob Fornaro said this morning, as the airline continues to scale back its growth plans amid record fuel costs.
Speaking at the Raymond James Annual Institutional Investor Conference, Fornaro added that the plane sales won't be the last growth cuts AirTran makes. "We're going to adjust our fleet plans further," he said.
What's more, Fornaro said off-the-charts oil prices -- which he said have climbed past $100 a barrel -- could also impact AirTran's protracted negotiations with its pilots union. The two sides have been negotiating a new deal for nearly two years.
The pilots union rejected AirTran's latest offer last fall. But Fornaro said AirTran may not make a better offer -- or even a similar one -- given today's oil prices.
"I would say right now I'm not sure we would put that agreement back on the table. That was a $65-a-barrel agreement and that's not where we are," he said. "We're taking a fresh eye as to what we're going to put on the table."
Sorry guys, I have to bring this back to what this thread is about. Yea there are a couple of individuals on here that have a silver spoon in their mouth, but lets just ignore them. Times are about to get tough for everyone. With oil at a all time high and on the eve of a recession, guess what the executives are going to try to do? AirTran, American, Continental, US AirWays, Southwest, and Spirit are pilot groups that are currently attempting to negotiate new contracts. Are guys angry? Hell yes! What has happened in this industry the last 8 years? Pilots have been furloughed, lost pensions, seen their jobs outsourced to the lowest bidder and have watched their wages reduced to save their corporations. Pilot groups have been made so many promises by management to make up for managements lack of responsibility. What have we all seen in the last two years? Most carriers have made record profits and many of the executives have taken record bonuses. I don't give a damn what one soul says, but not one airplane and I mean not one will rotate in the air without pilots. Passengers purchase tickets to go from point A to point B safely and their is one group of employees that have been highly trained to do this...pilots!

Ladies and gentlemen it is time we put aside the little petty arguments among ourselves and focus on working together. Like that, every airline could stop hiring tomorrow, we saw that in 2001. Like that, management could find some loop hole to wipe out gains in our contracts, we saw that in 2001 with that force majure language. So lets not focus on a few individuals on this board who don't understand what it means to fight for a fair contract. Every pilot should be tired of watching their profession eroded. Consolidation is coming. This first round with Delta and Northwest is not over! Do you really think the executives are going to stop because pilots can't agree on senority intergration? NO! Bottom line, pilots we have to unify and work together to protect our profession.

Last edited:
Doesnt Airtran have scope for aircraft over 50 seats. I think Delta gave theirs up. Good job Airtran make sure you guys fight to keep that. Its the biggest thing that has ruined this profession so far. I dont like seeing Delta colors on 90 seat "rjs".
Yes, and it was the single biggest item that got me to finally stand up and start spreading the truth about the T.A. that the NPA didn't want to talk about.

Pay rates were 2nd and were insulting, but this was secondary to Scope.

I am NOT going to watch yet another major carrier farm out all their growth to regional affiliates. I am NOT going to allow any erosion in Scope that threatens the jobs of my coworkers. Not without stepping up and at least trying to do something about it.

I still have NO idea how the NPA even THOUGHT they could cost quantify the erosion of Scope and give it some monetary value to get back everywhere else. My proposal at the table for scope concessions was "fine, you can have scope. Just sign here for seat and pay protection FOR ALL TIME for all pilots who get displaced and/or furloughed because of the changes in Scope".

Needless to say they wouldn't even discuss it which, to any sane person, indicates that they really did plan on making a change. Certainly not overnight, but no company specifically asks for scope relief then refuses to protect their employees without a reason.

Keep your eye on the ball! DAL's pay rates MIGHT be a good base to start, but not at the expense of our jobs through Scope concessions! In that way, I don't want to be anything like DAL.

Amen to that!

in this business, that's very fleeting. Who were top dogs 20 years ago? 10? Does anyone expect the current top dogs to remain there 10 years from now? You might expect it, but history tells a different story.

Agreed,

I think "better" is in the eye of the beholder. To some, the Texas two step might be the best thing since sliced bread. For others it might be the chance to fly a heavy across the world. When it's all said and done, the W2s and QOL are what really tells the story. We all know that has evolved over the years.

Anyone else heard that there will be no more upgrades until October? I'm not sure if this is rumor or if it was official. It wouldn't surprise me though since we are only getting 6 airplanes and we've already trained about 50-60 capts this year.

So much for the 3 year upgrade. Now i'll just hope to upgrade in 4 years...

This brings me to another point... Don't you all think that F/O pay might be a little more important now (yes, i'm talking to you Rico)....

Apparently, you missed the point.

We have over 1,000 pilots who were hired post 9/11 and they came from everywhere, including Delta, NWA, UAL, ATA, AA, TWA, Midway, Emery, Sun Country and many others . . . .

The point was that when some new-hire at Delta is running his s#!t-eater about the "AirTran" pilots, he has no idea who he is talking about . . . . chances are, most of them have a lot more experience in this industry and have paid their dues far more than he. . . . . a point re-inforced by his obvious need to throw rocks at the AirTran pilot group. . . . obviously, he's feeling a little outclassed in his new home at Delta.

You are one angry individual. Do you take effexor when you aren't flying? Chances are you probably do. I'm not a new hire, and have paid my dues probably a lot more than you have.
Riddle me this tough guy, how many of your Delta, NWA, ATA, AA, TWA, Midway, Emery,Sun Country, and many others, (that you quote) have left for greener pastures?
AMF

Maybe you missed the memo out today. Scheduled to take a total of 28 airplanes in 09 and 10. now only taking 14 for 5% growth each year instead of 10%. Start looking at 5-7 year upgrades at best.

Maybe you missed the memo out today. Scheduled to take a total of 28 airplanes in 09 and 10. now only taking 14 for 5% growth each year instead of 10%. Start looking at 5-7 year upgrades at best.
Is 5-7 years a guess or did you dust off the crystal ball?

Latest resources

Back