Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FLB717

Pilot=proof of Gods humor
AirTran cleared for landingRichmond International finally lands low-fare airlineBY

CHIP JONESTIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Apr 7, 2005

Richmond International Airport has finally landed a low-fare airline. AirTran Airways is poised to announce nonstop service to Atlanta, anda nonstop flight to Philadelphia that goes on to Boston, beginning inmid-June.The airline also plans nonstop service from Richmond to Orlando, Fla.,by mid-November, according to sources familiar with the deal.The Capital Region Airport commission has scheduled what one officialcalled "a really big" announcement Friday at 10:30 a.m. at the GreaterRichmond Convention Center.But airport officials were tight-lipped today about the event, whichpromises to deliver welcome news to cost-weary travelers who have longcomplained about Richmond International's high fares.F or years, Richmond has ranked in the top 5 cities in the nation forhigh fares."I'm not confirming the airline, their cities, or their schedule,"said airport spokesman Troy Bell.Informed sources said AirTran, which left Richmond in the late 1990s,plans to return with new aircraft and a revamped reputation forservice.Last week, the airport commission approved a plan to offer up to$500,000 in marketing support for any airline with new service fromRichmond.The Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce has also offered matchingfunds for marketing new air service.AirTran is expected to be the recipient of the funds from local,federal and private sources.The need for low-fare competition was dramatically highlighted by astudy last year that showed more than 1 million travelers a year -- orabout 34 percent of the region's core travel base -- were driving awayto find cheaper fares at six other airports in the region.This included Newport News/Williamsburg International, which has beenserved by AirTran for several years through a subsidy with the city ofNewport News.It was not known today what, if any, impact the Richmond announcementmight have on that service.AirTran officials have not returned repeated telephone calls seeking comment.For more details on the new service, read tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is going to be an extemely profitable market(s). I'm so glad we are getting into these "no low cost carrier" markets before anyone else. It will undoubtedly give us a leg up for a long time in Richmond and Charlotte.

Brace yourself for the onslaught of whining from Joe Peeonotz and Taz, who don't seem to understand what drives a city to put up money to get us in there in the first place.

I think it was Mark Twain that said, "The problem with common sense is that it's not very common".

Ty Webb said:
Brace yourself for the onslaught of whining from Joe Peeonotz and Taz, who don't seem to understand what drives a city to put up money to get us in there in the first place.

I think it was Mark Twain that said, "The problem with common sense is that it's not very common".

It was the Snake that said, "The problem with common sense is that it's not very common in you.

Too bad about Richmond. I know they wish they could have attracted a reputable airline but had to settle for the "K-Mart special, the Greyhound of the sky", Air Trash.

Hey Snake....

You must have been turned down by AirTran a while ago to have made a comment like that.

Did anyone ever tell you, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all?"

:p

WOW Snake easy on those guys at Air Tran.....

I remember SWA telling Richmond that we were coming for sure. I thought Herb told them after the terminal was completed in ISP...we would be in RIC... It was either RIC or ORF in 2001 and ORF got it.

Snake said:
It was the Snake that said, "The problem with common sense is that it's not very common in you.

Too bad about Richmond. I know they wish they could have attracted a reputable airline but had to settle for the "K-Mart special, the Greyhound of the sky", Air Trash.

It's not his fault.... It's his parents fault. It's the way he was raised. Sorry you had such a bad childhood, Mr. Snake.
Perhaps some counseling would help.

Man, this board has gotten so much better since I put Snake on my ignore list. Thanks for the advice Ty!

AFcitrus said:
Sounds like it is going to be an extemely profitable market(s). I'm so glad we are getting into these "no low cost carrier" markets before anyone else. It will undoubtedly give us a leg up for a long time in Richmond and Charlotte.

Independence Air has been doing service out of CLT for a long time now and kicking butt!!

Snake said:

I think we're trying to appeal to the NASCAR crowd with the additions of CLT and RIC.

The Greyhound of the Sky comment is actually pretty accurate. I think Southwest says that they're competing against the family station wagon, so I guess AirTran's in good company. Thanks for the kind words, Snake.

Latest resources

Back