AirTran to furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tzflyer said:
ATA is furloughing. Not Airtran to my knowledge. I have applied there and hope that doesn't change.

Will Airtran have to increase thier advertising budget when ATA stops advertising for them in Chicago? It is amazing how we expect consumers to know the difference when even airline people can't keep them straight.
Well, I know the difference and always have. ATA being based out of Midway and Air Tran being the new name of Value Jet after they bought out Orlando based AirTran. When I heard this rumor I was really surprised because it was AIR TRAN that was said. Now, ATA was in the same situation almost a year ago, they were hiring like gangbusters and the next week they were in trouble. So I just wanted to confirm. Jeez!

Current fleet:

77 717-200
5 737-700

Firm orders:

47 more 737's, coming 1 per month, except for the 2 options that were excersised for spring 05 delivery. The option AC bring the total 737's on firm order to 52, of which 5 have been delivered. 48 options remaining. All 737 orders and options have been publicly declared as being for 737-700's. Rumor has it that some of the options have been excersised for -800's, but that has not been publicly released, so it is probably BS. Any of our 737 deliveries or options can be converted to an -800 with 18 months notice, with prices already negotiated.

We also have more 717's on firm order. One Dec delivery, 2 in JAN 05, and a few more pushed out to mid to late 05.

The Jan 717 deliveries were supposed to be here before the end of the year, but the company pushed them back. They also pushed a 737 delivery 2 weeks into NOV instead of OCT.

1002 pilots on the property, as well as the NOV and DEC vacancies posted above.

All public knowledge.

Identity crisis?!

MCDU said:
people mix up ata and airtran all the time.

marty
I think it is a case of mistaken identy.

Just like the thread about SWA and AA merging. It is Aloha Air (AA).

There are too many itchy keyboards out there.

Jeff Helgeson said:
I think it is a case of mistaken identy.

Just like the thread about SWA and AA merging. It is Aloha Air (AA).
Nah, my luck can't be that good.

He CRJdog... You're probally just pissed off because of this US-Airways crap aren't you? Just wait until you become my gear biach..

Regardless, sincere condolences to those folks at ATA. I had an application on my desk when I got hired at AirTran in 2001. I have always liked flying on ATA as a passenger (wish you would have stayed with the palm trees and the "you're on vacation" thing, I liked that) and your crews have always been top-notch. I wish all of you the best, and if the unthinkable happens, I hope that you get snapped up by a more stable carrier. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I agree with Ty, ya'll have guts and determination, you are a great group of pilots. I wish you the best.

Thanks, Guys. Things are gonna get REALLY interesting at work for us in the next few months.

Latest resources

Back