• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran to Furlough 169 Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did it change then to Furlough instead of Fire?

Sounds like a circus over there. Wish management would stop treating everyone like they were still at a bad regional and respectfully treat the pilots like this is the airline they'll retire from.

To wish.....

It changed with the NPA BOD's unilateral ratification of LOA 9, which allowed the company to diddle with zero time lines (which they won't use) and keep the s-word training department retreads working in return for the 'fired' guys being reclassified as 'furloughed'. Like it makes any difference. Beelzebub Kolski managed to make the NPA look more weak and worthless than they did before.

As to your second sentiment, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

Luckily, the ATL Jet A price has gone down between $0.75 and $1.00 a gallon over the last 6 weeks. Considering that we buy a little over 1 million gallons a day at Airtran, our cash flow should be close to a $1 million a day better today compared to just 6 weeks ago. For a company that spends about $7 million a day total, $1 million in fuel savings is pretty big.

Interesting question will be how does the revenue environment hold up for the Sept-Dec period.
I've been watching and thinking the same thing with the capacity cuts at my airline. Our CFO said with an average price of $116 for the year profitability was questionable. After the shock of $150 oil and $180 to $190 bbl Jet A, I haven't heard of any of the airlines reversing the draw down plans.

Like you, I am hoping it turns around.

Most positions at this company have such high turnover that if they want to reduce the numbers they just wait until people realize how bad they are treated and leave. That is why they did not have to let any flight attendants go. They all just quit. So many quit, from what the FAs have said they might actually have to hire.

I overheard a flight attendant on the bus saying two AirTran flight attendants were fired because they were stealing credit card numbers from passengers. And now they are here at ASA. Go Figure.

I've been watching and thinking the same thing with the capacity cuts at my airline. Our CFO said with an average price of $116 for the year profitability was questionable. After the shock of $150 oil and $180 to $190 bbl Jet A, I haven't heard of any of the airlines reversing the draw down plans.

Like you, I am hoping it turns around.
I think the $4/gallon Jet A scared our management pretty good. They are now telling are union that they are not going to grow anymore no matter how far down oil drops until we have $700 million in the bank. Selling a few 737's for $3-4 million each and not taking new 737's (which require about $6 million to get off the production line up front) will help us increase liquidity over the next 18 months.

Priority #1 is fix the balance sheet and return to profitability. Priority #2 is growth. As much as that sucks for career progression, I agree it is better for long term stability.

Last edited:
Selling a few 737's for $3-4 million each and not taking new 737's (which require about $6 million to get off the production line up front) will help us increase liquidity over the next 18 months.

Boeing 737 going for 3-4 million a piece? What the hell is Bombardier thinking selling the Q400 TurboProp for 23 million a piece.

3-4 million can't be right can it? If your only gonna get that little you might as well fly the damn thing till the wings fall off (jk of course) instead of selling them at cheap.

Boeing 737 going for 3-4 million a piece? What the hell is Bombardier thinking selling the Q400 TurboProp for 23 million a piece.

3-4 million can't be right can it? If your only gonna get that little you might as well fly the damn thing till the wings fall off (jk of course) instead of selling them at cheap.

That is the profit made from the sale of the new 737's.

Priority #1 is fix the balance sheet and return to profitability. Priority #2 is growth. As much as that sucks for career progression, I agree it is better for long term stability.

Seems more to me like Bob's #1 priority is saving his own ass from being fired.

What is the DOH of the most senior furloughee?

Guys are on the street with the highest credit lines I have ever seen here, and a ton of open time. I am thinking I will be back in November. Or am I wrong about these values?

Latest resources

Back