Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Selling, not parking Aircraft ..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Air Tran was getting 737s to eventually replace the 717s. I guess there isn't a market for the 717 or they'd be selling those instead.

Why do pilots take such joy in wishing or hoping that another carrier is in trouble or going out of business? It means that thousands of people are at stake especially fellow pilots that may be someone you worked with at another time. Aviation is a small world.
We need to be able to appreciate the difference between "joy in wishing, or hoping, that another carrier is going out of business" and good old fashioned competition.

Everyone loves AirTran when it is kicking Delta's butt, lowering fares, with new equipment and Captains on year three pay. The market has changed to favor network carriers currently (could change in an instant with a virus, terrorist act, or war). In the current environment Delta's network gives it a revenue advantage AirTran can't match in the short term.

Coolside, some of my best friends are at AirTran - AirTran has some great pilots. However, I can't condone the way they have treated their new hires, some of their training practices and their business model which lowered fares so much that it came around and bit them in their own butt.

Commenting on market realities is different than hoping any of our friends at AirTran suffer career harm. Realize that it is a competition, it is a battle for Atlanta. I'm pulling Atlanta's airline, just as you pull for Orlando's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Air Tran was getting 737s to eventually replace the 717s. I guess there isn't a market for the 717 or they'd be selling those instead.
As others have pointed out, AirTran is selling delivery positions and increasing cash on hand.

New 737's require a capital spending. Selling delivery positions puts money in the bank.

Your right, Airtran is on fire! Growing and upgrades for all! Don't pay attention to this, it's just static in an otherwise story of an organization that is taking the world by storm.\

These attitudes, and egos usually come from the highest paid pilots "at the time." They usually think they are untouchable, and that it can't happen to them. There is something about being the highest paid in this industry that is a bad omen. You just better hope the timing is right and it is at the twighlight of your careers. And if you live a 200k lifestyle history tells us we are making a mistake. Save for a rainy day. No one in this industry is immune to that. The more euphoric you are now the more it is going to hurt later. I wouldn't spite anyone in this industry. The shoe will be on the other foot all the time with Airlines.

My signature says it all......

I think you are all nuts. Stop worrying about stuff you can't control.

Is Airtran furloughing, and whatever happened to the contract? Are you guys still in negotiations? I hope it's all hype, but CAL just sent out 150 furlough notices, so it's happening.

I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank,. JOHN PRATER YOU PUTZ! Great job representing America's pilots and the aviation career. Hope you die painfully slow of anal warts!

We need to be able to appreciate the difference between "joy in wishing, or hoping, that another carrier is going out of business" and good old fashioned competition.

Everyone loves AirTran when it is kicking Delta's butt, lowering fares, with new equipment and Captains on year three pay. The market has changed to favor network carriers currently (could change in an instant with a virus, terrorist act, or war). In the current environment Delta's network gives it a revenue advantage AirTran can't match in the short term.

Coolside, some of my best friends are at AirTran - AirTran has some great pilots. However, I can't condone the way they have treated their new hires, some of their training practices and their business model which lowered fares so much that it came around and bit them in their own butt.

Commenting on market realities is different than hoping any of our friends at AirTran suffer career harm. Realize that it is a competition, it is a battle for Atlanta. I'm pulling Atlanta's airline, just as you pull for Orlando's.

I am pulling for both. It is two different customer bases. Airtran is ghetto/white trash airlines. Contrary to popular belief those people need to travel too. ALL Americans spend money. They spend more than they make but that keeps different economies alive. People do not take short term bus rides for travel. They are usually making a long term trip. Nobody takes a bus to Disney. Fractionals killed airlines because they sucked up the high fare paying business traveler. We should all hate fractional guys... HA HA HA

Latest resources

Back