AirTran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Signing Bonus?

Another item for thought.... with the signing bonus getting taxed by almost half.... why didn't they negotiate to get it put into the company paid 401 plan? Would this not allow the pilots to truly get ALL of the bonus and avoid paying taxes? Or is this another way to squeeze some more money since it would be paid to the pilot group and therefor would be subject to the percentage that we are paying to the NPA??? Not certain and I could very well be wrong... If I am then I am sorry for my ignorance.... if I am correct in my thought process, it kind of makes you wonder... just thinking

Another item for thought.... with the signing bonus getting taxed by almost half.... why didn't they negotiate to get it put into the company paid 401 plan? Would this not allow the pilots to truly get ALL of the bonus and avoid paying taxes?

I already maxed out my 401k for '07. That signing bonus would probably put me over the limit for tax deferred retirement savings for the year.

I already maxed out my 401k for '07. That signing bonus would probably put me over the limit for tax deferred retirement savings for the year.

There are other ways to pay any bonus, and not incur the 47% taxable rate, but the company would have to do some leg work and maybe pony up some more $$ for the IRS. But the option to place the bonus in a 401k should be offered.

I was not talking about the individual contribution but the company's contiribution... They are not limited to the amount... what if our new TA (after this one is voted down) had a 20 percent of gross earnings instead of the 10.5 percent that it is now??? I don't think that would count against the individual contribution. From another thread... if SH is on the NC after this is trashed there should be an immediate recall.... there is no confidence in his abilities. Others will have to dust off their books and start studying for recurrent and check rides because they will be back flying the line real quick if they don't start representing the pilot GROUP instead of themselves and a elect few. Where has the legal council been?

I was not talking about the individual contribution but the company's contiribution... They are not limited to the amount... what if our new TA (after this one is voted down) had a 20 percent of gross earnings instead of the 10.5 percent that it is now??? I don't think that would count against the individual contribution.

While I'm not saying it is a bad idea, there is a limit to the tax deferred retirement contributions you can claim in a year, regardless of where the money comes from (ie. 401k,B-fund,IRA's).

Someone (NC Guy) told some people at the road show this morning that if we don't vote this in, then we don't have a contract at all and the company can do whatever they want. Flat out lie. I want a refund for my dues.

Yet another example of why we should fly the jets and leave the negotiating to the professionals.

Pilots think they're so smart, yet keep getting their asses handed to them.

Hag
former ALPA
former APA
now ALPA again

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back