Airtran Pilots looking at ALK and SW Rates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scarlet

Do you think Airtran mangt has even looked at Alasks's and SW payrates in their T.A.s? SW voted theirs down.

New dates next week. Didn't see that coming that fast, (7 days notice) I hope the company and union have their proposals ready.

Do you think Airtran mangt has even looked at Alasks's and SW payrates in their T.A.s? SW voted theirs down.

New dates next week. Didn't see that coming that fast, (7 days notice) I hope the company and union have their proposals ready.
AT pilots certainly deserve SW rates. My understanding is that the number 1 issue over there is scope, and rightfully so. Company losses money at 50 seats (already tried with whisky), breaks even at 70 seats (current allowable scope language), and makes money at 86. Fight the good fight guys.

Have you looked at the price of Gas lately ??

Good Luck with those big pay raises !!

Please remember that the SW TA did not go down because of the pay. Pay was not the big issue...it became an issue once we saw the other ( more important) issues that we did not agree with.

Pay became just one more reason to vote "No".

"Pay was not the big issue...."

The big issue was Scope, wasn't it?

and reduced flexibility in scheduling, and QOL, and equality with other groups, and pro-TA union propoganda, and codeshare, and the list is long

Geez, jetblue got a raise and doesn't even have a union. WTF are the Unions doing over at Airtran and the like?

Last edited:
The blue dude's don't have our old school, hard nosed management team either. If we didn't have a union we'd be flying those same E-190s for $25 hr, working 15hr scheduled shifts. The new union is more organized than I've ever seen. Hopefully things will get better.

I understand scope will be the biggest issue. I think any type should be flown by AT pilots. No contracting. End of story.

Have you looked at the price of Gas lately ??

Good Luck with those big pay raises !!
Based on the projections our CFO gave at the Merrill Lynch conference this morning ($1.70-$1.75/gallon for Q2 2009), our Q2 2009 fuel bill will be a little over $200 million less than our fuel bill for Q2 2008. Of course with capacity down around 8% and total RASM down 6%, our total revenue will be down around $90 million for the quarter.

We also have hedges in place for about 50% of our fuel requirement for the second half of the year (with protection kicking in when oil goes about $60). If oil avgs $80/barrel for the second half of the year, Airtran pays about $66/barrel for our total fuel requirements according to the chart presented this morning.

I think Airtran will take a $90 million drop in total revenue with a $200 million drop in total fuel costs. Look for an operating profit around $70 million for Q2 and a net profit around $50 million. That is why our CFO said today that 2009 will be one of Airtran's best years in a while (2003 was Airtran's best operating margin).

Latest resources

Back