• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gotta agree with TV9 here. If we are going to 70 hours then I'll be looking to fly that in no more than 12 days leaving the 18-19 others to generate income elsewhere.

As for ANY kind of pay cut or work rule relief---NO WAY!!!!

...The problem with working on the side at AirTran is that you have to either obtain the permission of the Chief Pilot or V.P. of Flight Ops to FLY somewhere else, or get a non-flying side job (FOM restriction).

Why in the world would a guy have to get permission to get a non-flying job, especially with a reduced line?

That's Orwellian (sp?)

...The next senior guy I hear saying I have been furoughed before, now it is the junior guys turn to be furloughed needs a blanket party.

How 'bout a FO that's been furloughed 3 times, can I say that or will I get a blanket part too, Captain? You sound familiar, maybe one of my FO's somewhere.

How 'bout a FO that's been furloughed 3 times, can I say that or will I get a blanket part too, Captain? You sound familiar, maybe one of my FO's somewhere.

Anyone that says it. Blanket party. Time to hunker down and stick together.

Why in the world would a guy have to get permission to get a non-flying job, especially with a reduced line?

That's Orwellian (sp?)
It was the way I worded it, sorry for the confusion:

"...The problem with working on the side at AirTran is that you have to either obtain the permission of the Chief Pilot or V.P. of Flight Ops to FLY somewhere else,

or

you can get a non-flying side job.

And quit pumping out the kids while on furlough. It's part of "living within ones means."

And quit pumping out the kids while on furlough. It's part of "living within ones means."
First of all skippy, If your wife is pregnant before you know of a furlough there is not a lot you can do about it. Secondly, lets see how you tune changes when you are on the street. These are unprecedented times in our economy and people are hurting out there. You should really have some sympathy for your fellow pilots.

Anyone that says it. Blanket party. Time to hunker down and stick together.

Right on the money. All 1700 of us need to stick together instead of some of the senior guys here saying oh well. Airtran pilots have typically been some of the hardest working pilots in the industry and may be used to working 85-95 hours a month, but one must look at the bigger picture in the times we are in now.

Avg line value needs to go to 70 before we ever let someone go. I can't look anybody in the eye and say sorry my lifestyle requires 90 hours a month so we will see you in a year and a half or two years. We all need to share in the rewards when the company does well, and we all need to share in the pain when the company is struggling.

Last edited:
Right on the money. All 1700 of us need to stick together instead of some of the senior guys here saying oh well. Airtran pilots have typically been some of the hardest working pilots in the industry and may be used to working 85-95 hours a month, but one must look at the bigger picture in the times we are in now.

Avg line value needs to go to 70 before we ever let someone go. I can't look anybody in the eyes and say sorry my lifestyle requires 90 hours a month so we will see you in a year and a half or two years. We all need to share in the rewards when the company does well, and we all need to share in the pain when the company is struggling.

Well said maxblast. A lot of people will be affected by a furlough. Many will go back to the right seat, back on reserve, and for me back on unemployment. This affects many more than just the few on the chopping block.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back