Airtran pilot staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JT12345

So we are not getting rid of our current 141 airplanes. Just selling future ones to offset the futures of oil. What are all these rumors about furloughing?

I have never seen an airline furlough without downsizing their fleet. We havn't grown in about what about 3 months, and havn't had any classes for 2 months. Are we really that fat on crews?

Furloughing pilots for a couple of months will cost more than it will save due to downgrades, and switching airplanes. We have to train new instructors too.

A 5% reduction in overall flying and a 2 month seasonal 10% reduction doesn't seem worth it.

It's more than that, though. The 5% reduction is compared to last year's block hours. The reduction from this July to September will be 20% of our total block hours. That's a big cut. Does it justify furloughs? I doubt it, but they didn't ask me. :rolleyes:

It's more than that, though. The 5% reduction is compared to last year's block hours. The reduction from this July to September will be 20% of our total block hours. That's a big cut. Does it justify furloughs? I doubt it, but they didn't ask me. :rolleyes:

Did Airtran have the B737-800 orders as well the -700 orders, or were there options for the -800?

Thanks

AAflyer

Did Airtran have the B737-800 orders as well the -700 orders, or were there options for the -800?

Thanks

AAflyer

We only had -700s on order, but a bunch of the orders had options to convert to -800s. When I got hired there was a lot of speculation about converting options to get the bigger airframes, but that's obviously changed now. Why, are you guys looking for -800 slots?

We only had -700s on order, but a bunch of the orders had options to convert to -800s. When I got hired there was a lot of speculation about converting options to get the bigger airframes, but that's obviously changed now. Why, are you guys looking for -800 slots?

We are taking delivery of roughly 70 -800s over the next 2 years. I wasn't sure if those would be readily available or if some carriers were canceling their -800 orders/ options.

AAflyer

I would be careful of whom you invite into your house.Airtran could be picked up by AA for around $3 billion,sales of gates and other assets would net AA around $1billion,leaving AA with a fuel efficient immediate replacement for there MDs,$2billion for 141 aircraft saving AA vast sums of money in the short term would pay for itself very quickly.But dont worry APA will make you an offer you cant refuse.

I would be careful of whom you invite into your house.Airtran could be picked up by AA for around $3 billion,sales of gates and other assets would net AA around $1billion,leaving AA with a fuel efficient immediate replacement for there MDs,$2billion for 141 aircraft saving AA vast sums of money in the short term would pay for itself very quickly.But dont worry APA will make you an offer you cant refuse.

Huh? I didn't "invite" anyone in to our house. I was simply asking him if he thought AMR might be looking to pick up the slots that we have given up over the next few years. I don't foresee any acquisitions in this environment, anyway. No one can get $3 billion financing in this credit environment. The era of mergers and acquisitions in this industry ended as quickly as it began.

Not a major of course, but XOJet recently came pretty close with $2.5 billion :beer: .

Now back to the original topic at hand..

FZ

No need to worry were the financing might come from(stock swap,British Airways 25% stake in AA,simple assumption of Airtran debt or even new equity)because such a move would be inspired,but ironically most of the US airline second and third rate CEOs are more concerned with trying to bake the worlds cheapest pizza,so Airtran remains safe while these morons remain at the helm.(Dont get me wrong,Airtran is a fantastic operation,great people great service Im merely playing devils advocate or is it greedy capitalist its hard to tell these days).

Not a major of course, but XOJet recently came pretty close with $2.5 billion :beer: .

Now back to the original topic at hand..

FZ

That's actually pretty impressive. It is a fractional, though, so they may be seen as a safer credit risk. Everything I've heard about the failed UAL/CAL merger was that it fell apart due to problems getting money for the transaction. Airlines aren't exactly seen as good credit risks right now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back