• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran New-Hire Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, watch what you say about my airplane! I like the 73. Besides, they give me free coffee on those redeyes!

I think your best bet is the 717 if you get the chance. Here is why. As previously mentioned, the QOL is a little better on the 717. Some 73 drivers I know say they have to work an extra day or two per month (more than 717 guys)to get the same pay. (reason - 24 hour layovers)

Secondly, when the QOL at on the 73 does go up, rest assured the Captain slots will be filled by current senior 717 captains who are just biding their time waiting for the QOL factor to rise. When that happens those 737 FO's time to ugrade will get pushed back and back and back. Meanwhile the 717 upgrade time will shorten as the seats vacated by the 737 bound 717 captains become available. Additionally we are still getting more 717.

This theory assumes one wants to upgrade as soon as possible. If you are the type that wants to hang out in the right seat and fly trips with long layovers, then the 737 may be for you.

those 737 FO's time to ugrade will get pushed back and back and back. Meanwhile the 717 upgrade time will shorten as the seats vacated by the 737 bound 717 captains become available.

Now I am a bit confused...even if I get B737 FO, I can upgrade to the B717 in the exact same amount of time as if I were a B717FO, correct? Your statement assumes that the 737 FO's will hold out for 737 CA, and bypass the 717 CA slots.

I'll take the upgrade as quick as I can get it...but right now, simply working for a nice, stable, and growing airline (that actually turns a profit, to boot!) is good enough for me.

You are exactly correct Zephyrills. You can upgrade on anything you like and or transfer as an FO to the other aircraft should you desire.

IAHERJ

Zephyr,

Your profile is a little lacking in detail. Mind sharing your experience and total time? And how did you dad-gum do it? Did you go to job fairs, did you have an internal recom. ? Just curious Im doing whatever I can to get away from the fractionals and it isn't working yet.
Good luck and congrats. The 717 initial at TWA was a breeze and it was a piece o cake to fly, don't know nothing about the 73.

Your profile is a little lacking in detail. Mind sharing your experience and total time? And how did you dad-gum do it? Did you go to job fairs, did you have an internal recom. ? Just curious Im doing whatever I can to get away from the fractionals and it isn't working yet.
Good luck and congrats. The 717 initial at TWA was a breeze and it was a piece o cake to fly, don't know nothing about the 73.

Sorry for the lacking profile...I only signed up for this website to get some AirTran info prior to my interview.

From my resume:

Total Flight Time 6,787
Pilot-In-Command 3,010
Turbo-Prop 2,564
Turbine Pilot-In-Command §121 1,459
Multi-Engine 5,602
Turbo-Jet 2,561
Actual Instrument 662

Captain on B727, B737-800, BA32, BA41

How did I "dad-gum do it"?

Not sure, really....probably a combination of things...
  1. Originally applied in 1998, but got hired by ATA before AirTran would interview me
  2. Met Ms. G (Pilot Recruiter) at a meet-and-greet for ATA folks
  3. Went to the job fair in ATL
  4. Went to the training center tour at the job fair
  5. A college bud of mine who happens to help with Pilot Recruitment kept bugging Ms. G until she would finally call me for an interview
  6. I had 2 other internal recommendations who talked to Ms. G, as well as outside recs (Chief Pilot, Check Airmen, etc)
That's about it. It does stink, but you really do have to know someone to get the job. I know, I know...there are always a couple of guys who get on knowing nobody, but it is rare. I know I would not be going to class if it weren't for the generous help of my 3 buds at AT.

Do everything you can to find someone at AT that knows you, and get them to bug Ms. G until she is sick of talking to them!

The 500 FAR121 PIC is a bummer, as well. I know a lot of corporate guys who fly a hell of a lot better than me, and have twice the personality. So AT really needs to re-visit this rule.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Is that you Bert??

BERT!!!!!!

You couldn't hack the night freight, you are WORTHLESS after 9 pm. I should know!!!

Love,
Pickle

ps, if this isn't BERT!!! then never mind.

Zephyrhills said:
Met Ms. G (Pilot Recruiter) at a meet-and-greet for ATA folks

Hey, welcome aboard. Sorry about the way things worked out at ATA, but we're happy to have you. Here's to a quick return to the left seat.

Last edited:
Welcome to AirTran!

Good to see another ATA guy make it here! I am on the 717 and am enjoying it, just finished training!

PM if you have any other questions and congrats!

-TC

Latest resources

Back