Airtran might sign Mesa!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Fact (1) ALPA sued Delta to stop Comair's operation of Delta Shuttle and lost.

Yeah, we shouldn't be allowed to prevent our flying. Besides, even had we won that grienance, you would not have lost a single pilot. Let's face it, you are growing like a weed.

(2) ALPA filed a scope ratio grievance, then withdrew it when it was apparent that the arbitrator was going to apply Force Majure in the short term.

------Your fact is incorrect (and therefore not a fact). The scope grievance was dropped because of the 3rd consecutive quarter of losses at DAL eliminated any scope limit.

Fact, two pilot groups voted for it after they were told they would be fired without it. As is they will now get furlough rights. The other pilot groups have organized to bring a DFR suit against ALPA and have picketed National's offices.

--------Seperate issue than the rjdc, and I am not learned enough to offer much comment on it. However, I will ask if you believe that the U pilots should have just allowed mgt to give all of their flying away without negotiating some protections for their members? After all, it is their flying (contractually). Also, wouldn't ALPA have violated their DFR if they did not allow U pilots to negotiate protections for thier pilots?

--------Furthermore, didn't j4j in fact create waayyyy more regional jobs? I don't necessarily agree with it, but it kind of refutes your point that ALPA is trying to kill rjs.

One result of the RJDC litigation is that the Delta MEC is much more reserved about their public statements. If ALPA intends no harm to Connection pilots, why are we still locked out of meetings and negotiations with DAL?

------BECAUSE IT IS OUR FLYING. We don't let the airtran pilots in either. Or the ACA or Skywest pilots. You have no right to be in our negotiations. If you disagree, please post the language that gives you control over even a single hour of Delta flying.

Now your MEC's VARS messages are a little harder to pinpoint, just statements that ALPA's economists are watching the Company's performance and now believe the scope ratio portion of the contract can be enforced.

-------You should listen a little bit closer to those messages. You have obviously heard them wrong. There is no longer any scope ratio, and therefore nothing to be enforced. We are going to "meet and confer" to set new limits, and DALPA has NEVER made any public statement indicating that they will seek to shrink DCI block hours. Yet you continue to assert otherwise.

But I can sure prove a positive. I will change my icon to ALPA's stop RJ tags they have distributed, if the file size is right.

--------Those were printed up by the HP MEC using the same funds that you were afforded during your contract negotiations. You could use those funds to print up any tags you want, and they would not convince me of ALPA's policies. ALPA and DALPA has never attempted to limit rjs. I cannot speak for the pilots of HP.

You will have to come up with a little more than a bag tag to convince me.

FlyDeltasJets said:
You will have to come up with a little more than a bag tag to convince me.
I'm not worried, I am confident your MEC will do that for me. And as ALPA has argued in Court countless times, they are the exclusive bargaining agent. No unit negotiates without the approval and power of ALPA's exclusive status. An example of this is ALPA's refusal to sign the CC Air contract which has forced that company to stop operations and fire their pilots effective at then end of October.

So which is it? Is ALPA National the exclusive agent with the power to refuse the execution of contracts, or does each MEC act independently? ALPA's position is that they are exclusive, meaning the actions of any MEC must first be cleared with ALPA and become ALPA's position. According to ALPA's legal arguements - that is their Bag Tag, and their position. I'm just using it because it is a cute, clear, slogan. When I post Woerth quotes to the same effect, everyone goes to sleep.

Actually, I LOVE the bag tag, with one small exception. I would erase the slash around "rj's" and add the words "on mainline" after it.

That being said, I apologize to the others for responding to fins' dig and helping to "hijack" the thread. I have to do a better job of letting people have the last word!

FlyDeltasJets said:
That being said, I apologize to the others for responding to fins' dig and helping to "hijack" the thread. I have to do a better job of letting people have the last word!

In defense of Fins, there are only two kinds of people on here that don't want to hear about the problems between mainline and major: 1) the mainline pilots that caused the problem; 2) inexperienced people who know little about the industry (as evidenced by their remarks). Sometimes 1 & 2 are identical.

surplus1 said:

In defense of Fins, there are only two kinds of people on here that don't want to hear about the problems between mainline and major: 1) the mainline pilots that caused the problem; 2) inexperienced people who know little about the industry (as evidenced by their remarks). Sometimes 1 & 2 are identical.

In defense of myself, just because I'm relatively new to the field doesn't mean I'm an ignorant hick. I keep up with the goings-on in the industry and am well aware of the political aspects therein.

It is an ongoing theme with the RJDC crowd that if you don't agree with them, well, you must just be plain dumb or uninformed. That's not a particularly good way to ingratiate yourself to potential supporters, and your assessment of that particular group of people couldn't be more ignorant in its own right.

FL000,

I'm curious as to what made you decide that my comments were directed at you?

Looks like you decided that the shoes you wear fall into one of the two categories.

For the record, I don't seek to ingratiate myself with anyone. I have no need to do so and I don't fall into the mainline wannabe category. As for the RJDC, it's not a popularity contest. It's a quest for compliance with the law. If you choose to have your rights trampled on by others while you remain silent, that's your perogative. I don't choose that route and make no apologies.

The problems need to be solved. If mainline pilots don't want to solve them or insist on having everything their way, then the courts will decide. My regard for their beliefs is indentical to their regard for mine.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me at any time. After all, "variety is the spice of life".

Latest resources

Back