AirTran Mgmt. meets with NPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Minime,
You are spot on with you post. I have not been here very long, but from what I have seen everybody is doing all they can to save fuel and cut costs. I don't think the employee group can do much more. Everyone is unhappy with the old contract, but they still do their part. There is a good group here at Airtran. I hope this all works out.

Update:

According to an interview in the Orlando paper, CEO states that we could see a reduction in flying of 5% come September . . . a comparison between June flying and September flying, minus an additional 5 percent, would mean that we are "overstaffed".

What this means is anyone's guess. Will we just see lines built to 70 hours (versus 82)? Will attrition continue (curretly 5-7 a month)? Will we sell off some aircraft, or just upcoming deliveries?

No one knows for sure. We could see some furloughs, if trends continue in this direction, but my guess is that we will not, unless we actually sell off some airplanes. It doesn't make sense to furlough guys for only a few months, and as the legacies trim down their schedules and raise fares, we may not have to reduce flying as much.

Who knows? If I were in the bottom 100-200 guys, I would be keeping my options open. Best of luck to all.

Ty

I doubt we'll see furloughs. We have guys still waiting on SWA class dates, plus interviews are going to start again next month at SWA. We'll continue to lose people to them as long as our payrates are so far below theirs. Along with the trickle of attrition to other places and the LVI in the low 80s, I don't think furloughs would be needed.

Update:

According to an interview in the Orlando paper, CEO states that we could see a reduction in flying of 5% come September . . . a comparison between June flying and September flying, minus an additional 5 percent, would mean that we are "overstaffed".

What this means is anyone's guess. Will we just see lines built to 70 hours (versus 82)? Will attrition continue (curretly 5-7 a month)? Will we sell off some aircraft, or just upcoming deliveries?

No one knows for sure. We could see some furloughs, if trends continue in this direction, but my guess is that we will not, unless we actually sell off some airplanes. It doesn't make sense to furlough guys for only a few months, and as the legacies trim down their schedules and raise fares, we may not have to reduce flying as much.

Who knows? If I were in the bottom 100-200 guys, I would be keeping my options open. Best of luck to all.

Ty

I listened to union president last night on the conference call and he gave his take on some of the numbers. The 5% reduction you got the from the Orlando paper is comparing block hours September 2008 vs September 2007. When you compare block hours September 2008 vs July 2008 block hours, I believe he said the reduction was 16%. Chief pilot was quoted at the meeting Monday saying that pilots should get their pay hours this summer if they want to because noone would have a line over 70 hours for September and October.

On the F word, he couldn't give any info one way or the other due to the confidentiality agreement they signed due to the forward looking information they got that hasn't been released to Wall Street yet. He did say that things were changing day to day with everyone else reductions announcements so final plans for this fall are not set in stone by any means. He did say it was good that Airtran is a very flexible company (hopefully to flex into some opportunities that might arise).

On another note, some guys were asking about executive compensation. His take is that he is not concerned about exec pay right now other than fact that if theirs is going up, then we should be sharing in the rewards. However, the minute the company asks for a pay freeze, pay cut, or reduction in workforce, that their pay would become an issue and that they should share in the reduction. By his not being worried about exec pay now, I don't think the company has asked or brought up any of the 3 things above yet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back