• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JT12345

August 22, 2011

Fellow Pilots,
Last week, your MEC made the difficult decision to turn down the Seniority Integration Agreements (SIA) that the Merger Committee reached with SWAPA and SWA management. While the MEC sincerely appreciated SWA management's efforts on the economic aspects of the agreement, MEC members, based on pilot input received, believe firmly that the seniority list itself could not be considered “fair and equitable” to our members. That seniority list resulted in an average loss of relative seniority of 22% for AirTran pilots and over a 30% loss of relative seniority for some of our pilots. The MEC appreciates the hard work by all parties that lead to the development of conditions and restrictions (C&Rs) that lessened the effects of the seniority loss for some AirTran pilots, but the MEC ultimately concluded that the agreement could not and would not be ratified by our pilots.
I have been in contact today with Bob Jordan to explain the MEC’s decision and express the above concerns. Although Southwest management is disappointed that the agreement was not ratified, they have also agreed that the Seniority Integration Process Agreement (SIPA) details the additional mediation and arbitration steps required. The Merger Committee continues their work this week in Washington, D.C. to prepare for mediation, which is scheduled to begin at the end of this month and continue through September. More information will be coming out shortly from the Merger Committee to describe the mediation process.
Many of you have reviewed Gary Kelly’s letter and/or listened to his phone message this afternoon. His plainly stated disappointment with the failure of the agreement is obvious, and some of his comments related to reviewing the status of the integration process are concerning. However, there were also many positive aspects of Mr. Kelly's message. First, he stated that "the integration process will continue, but at a much slower pace." He goes on to say that the company is "still on track for a single operating certificate," early next year, which is an important hurdle to clear for any airline merger. And I believe most importantly, he was clear to say that "our jobs are secure."
I want to stress that AirTran pilot leadership and all members of the MEC and its committees are still fully committed to a respectful and constructive integration process -- and one that provides the basis for continuing Southwest’s long record of success and positive culture.
Conversations with SWA management have included discussion of a meeting with them in the coming days. We hope to continue efforts to identify and work on any possible ideas that could eliminate the current logjam. We hope that those discussions will continue to highlight the many positives to an efficient and fair integration rather than focus on steps that are not likely to promote our shared goals. Mr. Kelly importantly reminded everyone to “take a deep breath” and keep working hard. That is exactly what we intend to do.
We also urge you to please follow Gary's advice about not listening to rumor and innuendo. You have my personal assurance that your union will communicate with you throughout this process and make sure that you have the most up-to-date, and more importantly, the most accurate information available. If you hear a rumor that doesn't match what you've heard from your union, please contact the MEC Office or a P2P member to get the real scoop.
In service,
Linden Hillman, Chairman
AirTran Master Executive Council

Lets see. A 22% seniority hit for a 60% pay raise. Where can I sign up? Yep you guys have your priorities straight. And now your eventual employment in doubt. Way to go ALPA. Oh I forgot it's not about the money. It's about, uh, seniority. Guys that couldn't even qualify to get hired at SWA before want seniority, which of course we all know also equals pay, want it all. Beat up on SWA all you want. Others, and Mr. Kelly likely as well, see this for what it is. Complete selfishness. The law may provide you a good seniority. What SWA does in the mean time is anyone's guess. Mine. It won't be so good. From the outside lookin in..

Lets see. A 22% seniority hit for a 60% pay raise. Where can I sign up? Yep you guys have your priorities straight. And now your eventual employment in doubt. Way to go ALPA. Oh I forgot it's not about the money. It's about, uh, seniority. Guys that couldn't even qualify to get hired at SWA before want seniority, which of course we all know also equals pay, want it all. Beat up on SWA all you want. Others, and Mr. Kelly likely as well, see this for what it is. Complete selfishness. The law may provide you a good seniority. What SWA does in the mean time is anyone's guess. Mine. It won't be so good. From the outside lookin in..

I say again, Money comes and goes, seniority lasts for as long as the company is in business. Never sell seniority for money!

"But Captain, there are icebergs ahead of us!".

"don't worry. Full speed ahead! The Titanic is unsinkable!".

(says Captain Linden, Chairman of the Airtran Master Executive Council as he fills out his application to Emirates Airlines)

I say again, Money comes and goes, seniority lasts for as long as the company is in business. Never sell seniority for money!

That is absolutely true for those pilots who have a seniority number at said company. There isn't a single AirTran pilot who has a SWA seniority number. The number they have is an AirTran number and you are correct that "seniority lasts for as long as the company is in business."

I wish you the best of luck. Somebody needs to shake ALPA and wake them up. The train is coming.

When you talk senioirty, calculate the difference between date of hire and the SLI and that was the calculated value of an AAI career fit into the SWA list at the time of the aggreement. That difference is much smaller than the quoted loss from relative. It isn't that complicated to sort out. In the history of acquistions there has never been a financial gain as high as the one that the AAI MEC turned down for thier pilot group. After this is said and done, lets see if the AAI MEC overestimated the value of thier careers mixed into the SWA list. If it comes out close to the same then it wasn't the list that was incorrect, it was the barganing position of the AAI MEC. Good luck to the AAI pilot group, it had been an intense period for everyone. I hope that everything works out as it should for both sides fairly.

Latest resources

Back