• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran management pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He doesn't get it. He had his preconceived notions before this entire thing started, and he's twisted events to fit those preconceived notions and then championed himself as clairvoyant. In reality, the idea that any of the voting reps would kill a deal to keep dues coming in is ridiculous. There isn't even anyone in the leadership that is a true ALPA die-hard. Hell, one of the reps who voted against the deal was handing out IBT cards when the union representation debate was going on a few years ago! Wave has it in his head that these are a bunch of ALPA guys that are trying to protect revenue, and he doesn't get that none of them care about ALPA.

Really Wave, you are smarter than that. You don't really think ALPA tried to squeeze a few more extra months of dues at the expense of trying to support the best possible merger for it's membership? You don't really think that ALPA national has that much control over what any member airline wants to do what it thinks is in it's best interest?
Finally, do you really think AT ALPA should have heeded the words of SWAPA, given it's track record in airline aquisistions/mergers and rep for aggresive self protection vs just treating it as a business negotiation and trying to get the best deal they thought they could get?
Come on dude, you sound like Fox news.

Fair enough- you alone are responsible for your actions no matter what advice alpa paid lawyers give-
And you are responsible for your attitude now

Are you guys going to be claiming the ever-subjective "unfair" until you retire?

Bc after this post I'll be back to being over whatever opinions I had about the AT SLI- you guys are SWA now and no matter who makes fun- you are family now- which still means you won't get everything

Last edited:
This isn't about me, wave. I didn't have a vote. This is about the Status Reps who these guys continue to attack by claiming that they had ulterior motives and weren't basing their decisions on the fairness of the list. That's just BS.

No, it's not BS and you know it.
They should have let the pilots decide, that would have been "fair" would it not?
Oh that's right, we were not capable of making a decision on our future according to you.

To be family, ya got to be treated like family. So far, it ain't happened.

I've yet to see a WN pilot wearing a one luv lanyard. It is what it is.

Wave is exactly right on one point. Many of us on here tried to give friendly advice to not push the GO hard and go for the throat. It was completely shouted down as idle threats. For those on the SW side, we know personally how slippery that slope is. Unfortunately AAI found out. There is no gloating in the way it went down, and it's sad that the MEC didnt let their membership vote....either up or down.

Water under the bridge at this point and it's time to start working together. Years of anger isn't going to serve anyone well at this point...or 10 years from now.

Fred, just because we don't wear a One Luv lanyard doesn't mean we don't consider you family. I don't wear my SWAPA lanyard either but I support them. Attitude is a choice so choose wisely. With all sincerity, I welcome you to the family.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I've yet to see a WN pilot wearing a one luv lanyard. It is what it is.
I did, on my commute down to MCO last week, Captain had one on, I even commented on it.

On a side note, this thread has been very useful for one thing: Southwest pilots are finally getting a feel of what I've been trying to say for the last few months. AirTran pilots are going to be upset for a while and it's going to take time for that resentment to lessen. It's on our internal message boards, it's in the crew rooms, it's on the line, and it's finally beginning to show through in several of the posts on this thread from several different people.

Southwest Management built the expectation that we could go to Arbitration by signing the Process Agreement, specifically Paragraph 6.A - "...the resultant arbitrated list WILL be implemented and the lists merged." (paraphrased)

You can't build expectations regarding someone's entire career then tear them down and expect people to be OK with that. Regardless of the legality of the move, it will breed anger and resentment when you tell people you can go to arbitration then say, "Oh we decided we're not going to do that."

Whether you, as a Southwest pilot agree with that is irrelevant.

It doesn't matter what YOU think AIRTRAN pilots should feel. Just as we AirTran pilots have NO RIGHT tell a Southwest pilot what to think. You can't tell someone else what they should feel, think, or believe.

The simple facts are that the Merger Committee is telling people to stay positive and move forward. The Negotiating Committee is telling people to stay positive and move forward. The MEC is telling people to stay positive and move forward. However, the line pilot is still mad about it. Yes, some people are mad at the MEC. No one is mad at individual Southwest pilots, so don't take it personally. But just about EVERY AirTran pilot is mad at the way the whole process worked out and it's disingenuous to lay all the blame at the feet of ALPA.

We all just have to remember that none of us individually are responsible for how things played out. At the end of the day, we're just pilots, and treating each other with respect and professionalism needs to be our focus as we move forward. I try to be friendly and respectful to every Southwest employee I meet, even the not-so-friendly ones, and I appreciate when they do the same (and many of them are friendly and welcoming).

Attitude is everything. I choose to be positive and do my job 100% with a smile on my face. It's all I can do... the only thing I can control is me. Ya'll fly safe... :beer:

Last edited:
Lear,

I get your post. However, AirTran pilots do not have a monopoly on being pissed or mad about this deal. Plenty of those feelings on our boards and on the line too (can't speak about the Lounges as I spend as little time in them as possible :)). Especially those with Juniority. It will take time for this to work its way out of both groups. But we do need to move forward together if this is going to be successful long term.

I too continue to work with a smile and have a good attitude. Doesn't mean I like the SLI. However, I will not have hostility towards AirTran employees. Welcome.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back