AirTran J/S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
furlough-boy said:
Thank you very much for the condescending reply.

Nice tie.

I think people are actually being pretty patient about this. Do a search, and you'll see that this topic has been addressed numerous times. AirTran is willing to fill up the ENTIRE plane with offline jumpseaters (for $25)--Just ask the FEDEX guys who commute with us to MEM if it's a bad deal or a good deal.

I guarantee it's a BETTER deal than what DL offers right now, yet for some reason, people like to blast us about the policy (while remaining not as boisterous about other carriers).

Look, if you want to jumpseat with us, you are certainly welcome, but please follow the protocol. If you're not the first offline jumpseater, and you elect to pursue other options to get home (and save the $25), then good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Some guys are probably being a little short with you because:

1. They're tired of dealing with the same gripe time and time again
2. "F****in gate agents" comments NOT MADE BY FURLOUGH-BOY are begging for that kind of reaction.

I've burned plenty of ID-90s while commuting on TWA (FAA on board), but I still don't hold that against the TWA pilots (thanks TWA guys--outstanding to Jumpseat on).

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

1. I didn't start the thread with the "f***ing gate agent comment. I was simply asking a question about a policy that I'd never heard of. I know it's frustrating when the same question gets asked again, but I've been out of the 121 business (furlough) for a few years, and just haven't kept up with everything.

2. My point was not to blast the airtran guys. I think the chance to get a ride for a measly $25 bucks when the jumpseat has already been taken is great, and I appreciate the policy. My question was merely to clarify whether you're being given that seat as an additional jumpseater or simply being sold a pass. Either way is fine.

Regards-

Steeler Fan said:
I think people are actually being pretty patient about this. Do a search, and you'll see that this topic has been addressed numerous times. AirTran is willing to fill up the ENTIRE plane with offline jumpseaters (for $25)--Just ask the FEDEX guys who commute with us to MEM if it's a bad deal or a good deal.

I guarantee it's a BETTER deal than what DL offers right now, yet for some reason, people like to blast us about the policy (while remaining not as boisterous about other carriers).

Look, if you want to jumpseat with us, you are certainly welcome, but please follow the protocol. If you're not the first offline jumpseater, and you elect to pursue other options to get home (and save the $25), then good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Some guys are probably being a little short with you because:

1. They're tired of dealing with the same gripe time and time again
2. When you start a thread with F****in gate agents, you pretty much are begging for that kind of reaction.

I've burned plenty of ID-90s while commuting on TWA (FAA on board), but I still don't hold that against the TWA pilots (thanks TWA guys--outstanding to Jumpseat on).

It seems a bit like a slippery slope though. What if all the guys who currently have unlimited jumpseaters say, "hey look at AirTran and how they charge guys. Why don't we do this too?" Then jumpseating will get quite a bit more expensive.

Capt.LongThrust said:
Yes the old crusty oz has spoke again. Maybe ALPA could lower the retirement age to 55 to get guys like you out five years sooner. By the way did you order your scoot-around yet?

Actually, that would be 2 years sooner in my case. But thanks for the concern as you sit on the sidelines and watch. We don't belong to ALPA at my company, by the way. So ALPA can concentrate on giving away your job instead of worrying about "lowering the retirement age" to get "guys like me" out. "Guys like me" simply take the stock options and retirement plan that my company has provided and move on. Without having to be "pushed out". He!!, I didn't want to hang around until 60 and I sure don't want to have to continue working past 60.

My "scoot around" is a 42-footer. Not only have I ordered it but have taken delivery.

I'll be happy to take you for a ride in it...IF you are able to beat me in a 10K, a half or a full marathon. Take your pick.

Name the time and place. Be the first on your block to get humiliated by the "old crusty oz" in a foot race.

Also, that would be "the old crusty oz has "spoken" again. I actually went to school, too. Did you get left behind a few years or something? Or were you just too drunk to pay attention?:rolleyes:

I'll leave you the glory of the last word that you so desperately crave.

Haven't jumpseated on Airtran for a while, but used to do it all the time from Atlanta to P-cola and back. 90% of the time the agents mentioned the $25, but never collected it, esp out of P-Cola. Maybe being extra nice and getting to know them helped.

Yank,

I can see your blood pressure is getting the best of you. I would hate for you to stroke out and miss one of your 10k or half marathons. It is nice to know we have a resident English grammar supervisor on duty. Maybe you have found your true calling. And yes I was too drunk to pay attention. Enjoy sipping your Shirley Temples on your 42 footer............what a waste.

furlough-boy said:
Thank you for the reply.

I didn't start the thread with the "f***ing gate agent comment. I was simply asking a question about a policy that I'd never heard of. I know it's frustrating when the same question gets asked again, but I've been out of the 121 business (furlough) for a few years, and just haven't kept up with everything.

Regards-

Sorry for attributing the F-Bomb comment to you, truly my fault.

More importantly, WELCOME back to part 121 Ops--Who are you working for?

Yank McCobb said:
I'll leave you the glory of the last word that you so desperately crave.

I didn't spend half my trip to Mexico penning the greatest slamdunk in FlightInfo history just to find out you're retiring at fifty-three, run marathons and have a 42 foot boat!!!
Unbelieveable, you ruined my whole post!
I carefully selected phrases like; 'worked to the nub', 'kicked to the curb' and 'an age too feeble to enjoy life'. I even finished it with a genuine invitation to drive my boat....
AND I DON'T HAVE A BOAT!!!

Last edited:
As a life long commuter mostly across the country I wish all carriers would get real as far as jump seating is concerned. The planes are full and geting a seat is tough. CASS is helping and should continue to help but I have to agree with what one of the previous messages was talking about. The whole one Jumpseater on Delta (not trying to pick on you) and other carriers is a joke. If seats are open in back let guys ride. Southwest had a loose 2 Jumpseater only rule but I have never seen them leave anybody behind. America West will take as many as they can fit, Skywest and Horizon as well. Even United is opening up the cabin to unlimited jumpers. And for "paying" for a Jumpseat, don't get me started but I will say that I have Jumped on Airtran and was going to be the "2nd" Jumpseater but when I talked to the Capt. he made sure I did not have to fork over 25 bones. Lucky I saw the guy first.

furlough-boy said:
My point is that you're not riding the jumpseat if they're charging you for a seat.

If you're using your airmans certificate and medical to board the aircraft, a pilot needs to see it. It's that simple.

Latest resources

Back