• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Interviewing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How big a class? Will that empty the pool?

As far as long-range hiring, countless hours of slogging along watching the little white airplane gobble up the magenta line have allowed me to come to the following guesstimates:

Based upon the published fleet projections of 70 B717 and zero DC9 by the end of Dec 2003, that would be a net gain of ten airplanes, or 120 pilots, plus retirements- so I would say we will need 170 pilots minimum by the end of 2003.

Of course, if they keep the DC9's around longer, or add more aircraft/aircraft type, that will all change. Since aircraft to be phased out as they come due for "C" checks, if "C" checks start happening for any 9's, that would signal to me more hiring than the above would indicate . . . . . . .

The number in the class is said to be 21. Will that empty the pool? Don't know. I'm really not sure how many were in the pool originally, and how many still remain 6 months later.

Think about what you are asking. I don't speak for the company, but here's my answer-

I know that I have three or friends who are waiting for an opportunity to come work here- I sure wouldn't want to waste a spot that could go to one of them so that you can come hang out here and burn up $30,000. of our company's money, only to leave as soon as your old company calls you back.

No offense Ty, but maybe if your company paid a bit better & got some bigger equipment...we'd hang around. And as for your friends....I hope they get the job, but I gaurantee you that when all the airline hiring eventually comes back around, if they get offered a job by any of the big 5...they'll be on the first plane out of Atlanta too! :p

FJ

Yeah . . . and maybe if we paid a lot better, and had bigger planes, I could be working at Home Depot with the rest of the other guys who hired on at the "Big 5" recently . . . .

There is nothing wrong with leaving a company to obtain what you perceive to be a better position. But to come here knowing that you hope to leave shortly to return to your old job is quite a bit different. Maybe you should look to your own company to spend $30K to keep you employed, instead of looking at us to spend it to hire you for the short term, after all, your loyalty lies with the first job, right?

BTW, third year pay here (with upgrade) is over $100,000. and 12th yr Capt. pay is $152K. Exactly how much more do you think a 117 pax plane should pay?

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
Yeah . . . and maybe if we paid a lot better, and had bigger planes, I could be working at Home Depot with the rest of the other guys who hired on at the "Big 5" recently . . . .

I am "working at the Home Depot", as a recently hired pilot at one of the "Big 5".

You must be new to the airlines, tying aircraft size at your company and pilot's salaries to furloughed pilot numbers?

With that attitude, please do not come to any of the "Big 5", when the inevitable hiring years come along.

With that attitude, please do not come to any of the "Big 5", when the inevitable hiring years come along.

I'm just curious what makes you believe that by the time they do hire, the "Big 5" won't either be the "Big #?", or that the "Big 5" won't include AirTran. Money says, fifteen years ago no one thought Eastern and TWA would be gone and Southwest Airlines would be a Major.

Hey, Ranger fan-

I have been around at least as long as you, pal, so don't you worry too much about me. Apparently, the context of the string was lost on you.

We all make our own choices about what is important to us. You have made yours, I have made mine. In the end, we are the ones who have to live with our choices.

I think that we have a vested interest in hiring and training pilots who want to be here. Clearly, you are not one of them.

And I have made mine. Ty, see you in August, hopefully. I didn't ask about, nor do I worry about training contracts. This is where I want to be, and this is where I intend to stay.

Latest resources

Back