AirTran headed west

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FDJ

You probably won't believe me, but I know what its like to work for a major airline. I know what its like to have all those perks and benefits that come with being part of a strong unionized carrier with a long legacy of "industry-standard" collective labor agreements. I also know what it is like to see it all evaporate away, and its made me wonder about the same things you've brought up in your posts. Emotionally I agree with what you're saying, but my rational (career experience) side says it just isn't the way my ALPA rep promised me it would turn out. Like you, I don't enjoy seeing the way things have turned out for our business. Yet I also have seen the dark side and I now hold no illusions about the fragile reality of pitching in for the greater good of the "profession." I have to now look out for #1 because that all I can count on in rough times like this. This is one mother of a business, and it can be real cruel and unforgiving. It's burned me good!

I guess I look at the LCCs as a small hope that perhaps they will give me a chance to quickly return to something I truly enjoyed doing in better times. I don't expect I'll ever return back to US Airways again, so this is all I have to look forward to. :(

Daed,

I wish you much luck. You guys have been through far more than you deserve.

My point has never been to criticize anyone. It has always been to point out that no one is immune from what is happening. It just hasn't reached the lcc's yet.

I don't have very much hope that we'll be able to address the threat, partially because so few people even want to admit that a problem exists.

Best of luck to you. I hope that the remainder of your career is happy and rewarding. I also hope that your collegues at U have better times ahead.

This thread has kinda got off topic.......so anyway I saw a sparkling new 717 in AirTran colors departing from SJC today (around 3:00pm). Anyone who works there want to chime in? It looked like maybe it was doing some proving runs.

In regards to the furlough bashing, and as a furloughee from a major who had his 121 wings clipped over a year ago...it sucks man! Go easy on us, we're sensitive :^) But on the bright side, it sure realigns your priorities in life. Instead of "keepin up with the Jones's", I'm enjoying a lot more quality time at home with the wife. I came to the realization a while ago that I'll be lucky to get recalled before my 10 year recall rights expire; I'm at peace with that. Life goes on.

To all those furloughed or soon to be, best of luck. Keep your spirits up, it does get better.

From FDJ:

Earlier on this board, someone expressed surprise that in some cases, the major pilots are now being paid less than the national pilots. My question is, what would indicate to that poster that that situation is permanent. What would make him sure that his airline won't be the next to ask for concessions, so his mgt can in turn compete with the major's lower cost? It is a dismal cycle, one which too few people are willing to even acknowledge exists.

Important point. I don't think anyone here really knows what the airline landscape will look like in a years. When will traffic improve? When will wage concessions turn into wage increases? How many carriers will go out of business?

All I know for sure is the big 6 will be somewhat to slightly smaller (if still in business) and others will grow. Some of the airlines prospering now will see troubles during the next boom and bust cycle.

Why can't we hold executives feet (and pocketbooks) to the fire when they dork it all up?

Latest resources

Back