• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Guys - 717 vs. 737-700

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I read and re-read the post, just to make sure I wasn't missing someing (since I just learned how to read yesterday) and I still come back to my original answer....

who cares, they pay the same. It's just an airplane. I'd rather fly a c172 at $100/hr than a B747 at $60/hr. Being an airline pilot is more about the size of the career (pay, benefits, lifestyle, stability etc.) not the size of the airplane.

I read and re-read the post, just to make sure I wasn't missing someing (since I just learned how to read yesterday) and I still come back to my original answer....

who cares, they pay the same. It's just an airplane. I'd rather fly a c172 at $100/hr than a B747 at $60/hr. Being an airline pilot is more about the size of the career (pay, benefits, lifestyle, stability etc.) not the size of the airplane.

Looks like you need to go back to school. What does my question have to do with pay?

Guys

If there's anyone that has flown both 717 and 737-700, I'm curious how the two differ in flying characteristics and level of automation.

Thanks

I have not flown the 737 just the 717 but from what I've heard from transitioning pilots is that at first they miss the level of automation in the 717 but enjoy the change in destinations (ie going west of the Mississippi). The 737 has bigger cockpit but has a lot more wind noise than the 717. The 737 has a better wing but from what I've heard you can't get away as easily being behind in a descent as the McBoeing. The 717 is a great aircraft that really watches out for us imperfect humans.

obviously you are missing my point....

your question has nothing to do with pay, and that was my point.

and your point has nothing to do with the question, so unless you can address the question as it's written why answer? I could care less about your point.

Jet41.

I have flown both and this is what I can tell you, some of which has already been said:

717: technically more advanced, less to do on a leg by leg basis (switch throwing), smarter bird (tells you if you forgot to throw a switch on/off), shorter legs, more legs per day on most trips, trips generally are higher paying, mostly east coast stuff, heavier on the control wheel, generally more difficult to land nice consistently than the 737, smaller towns, more stand-up type flying

737: advanced (but not to the 717 level), more work per leg(not a whole lot) but less legs per day, west coast flying, seats are better, flies lighter on the wheel, lands easier in my opinion, better experience for the resume (737), IAN approaches (essentially take a non-precision and make it like a precision- no more dive and drive, although it can be flown that way as well), red-eye flying.

Both aircraft are great, you cannot fly either one and not like it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back