Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dizel8

Douglas metal
AirTran Airways Becomes Fastest Airline in History to Reach Milestone of 100 Planes
Thursday October 20, 10 pm ET
Airline teams with The Boeing Company to make donation to Atlanta-area high school as part of the celebration welcoming its 100th aircraft

ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI - News), today celebrated the addition of the company's 100th aircraft into the airline's fleet. The plane, a Boeing 717, ship number 749 and registration number N923AT, was welcomed during a delivery ceremony at the airline's maintenance hangar at Hartsfield- Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Building on our long-standing partnership with The Boeing Company, today marks a significant milestone for our airline as we take delivery of our 100th aircraft," said Joe Leonard, AirTran Airways' chairman and chief executive officer. "As our competitors face strikes, layoffs and bankruptcies, our airline continues to grow by adding new markets, new routes and new planes. Our loyal customers choose to fly with us because of the quality of service we offer, including these new planes."

As part of the festivities, Atlanta-area North Clayton High School's marching band helped usher in the plane in a parade that included 100 of the airline's original Crew Members. AirTran Airways and Boeing executives then offered to make a donation to the marching band if the group would help "pull" the airplane into service. After the band pulled the 84,000 pound aircraft more than 40 feet, AirTran Airways and The Boeing Company donated funds to the organization for new band uniforms.

"Our all-new Boeing fleet has been a key factor in operating a highly efficient airline," said Robert L. Fornaro, AirTran Airways' president and chief operating officer. "The reliability, performance and operating economics of these airplanes are a perfect fit for our low-cost business model."

Dizel8, could you make a few more postings, I like looking at your Avatar.....

does anyone know if this is the last 717 we'll be getting? I thought I had heard a few months ago that we were only getting a few more 717s and then it was going to be all 737s after that.

also, i've been running out of rumors to talk about during flights... any good FL rumors floating around?

TV9Driver said:
Dizel8, could you make a few more postings, I like looking at your Avatar.....

does anyone know if this is the last 717 we'll be getting? I thought I had heard a few months ago that we were only getting a few more 717s and then it was going to be all 737s after that.

also, i've been running out of rumors to talk about during flights... any good FL rumors floating around?

Concesions: Pay cuts, work rule changes, etc.

Wow, 100 airplanes. That also equates to 100 separate lease payments. Hope they keep filling up those seats.

UMMMM Actually, no it doesn't. I don't know how many planes AT owns but they do own a couple. I believe its around 5 of the 737's and I have no idea how many 717's..

Joe Leonard will be gone within a year. Rumor

Were getting bought by Alaska. Rumor

I don't believe Airtran owns any 717's when the leases run out beginning in 2014, they will be going back to Boeing, if not sooner. Fact

Airtran owns less than 10% of it's fleet. I think this is a fact.

Were hedged at $40 a barrel thru 2010! Dream.

Maybe by the time they get their 200th plane I'll have a job with you guys!!!:beer:

Believe you guys are the only airline that hedges jetfuel. And since the cost of refinning jeta has doubled over the past six months, your hedges might work out better than SWA depending on how much you hedged.

Latest resources

Back