• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Furloughs coming

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got an idea. How about doing away with seniority all together and make it performance based like other jobs. You know, the better you are the more you get paid. This way we could be recruited by the best companies and take the job we want. If they go broke you fill out that resume with your experience, exemplary work record and job performance, you know sim grades, check ride results, attendance ect. Then it would really be a fair system and only the strongest survive. Longevity could still be used for schedules but pay and position should be merit based.

How many of you would be willing to try that?

Believe it or not, I think that would work better than the current system.....People would start to bail out companies that slash pay.....It's the "starting over" that kills our leverage...That's how most corporate jobs are and many folks leave the union airline jobs for corporate jobs.....

Believe it or not, I think that would work better than the current system.....People would start to bail out companies that slash pay.....It's the "starting over" that kills our leverage...That's how most corporate jobs are and many folks leave the union airline jobs for corporate jobs.....
Yeah, because you know airline management just LOVES to reward pilot merit with additional pay, stock options, and an Aston Martin in your driveway one afternoon after your 3rd attempt jumpseat home got you back at 0130 in the morning...

You'd have to negotiate it into a contract for airline management to ever honor it... oh wait... we do that already. ;)

I've got an idea. How about doing away with seniority all together and make it performance based like other jobs. You know, the better you are the more you get paid. This way we could be recruited by the best companies and take the job we want. If they go broke you fill out that resume with your experience, exemplary work record and job performance, you know sim grades, check ride results, attendance ect. Then it would really be a fair system and only the strongest survive. Longevity could still be used for schedules but pay and position should be merit based.

How many of you would be willing to try that?

Did you think before you posted this?

Joe,

It's time for you to leave the AirTran guys alone. They are going to be fine on their own. Step away from the computer or go hassle the ALPA guys some more.

P. Dude

P.S. I am open to setting up a cage match between Joe and 128. One night only. Winner takes all.

Last edited:
Yeah, because you know airline management just LOVES to reward pilot merit with additional pay, stock options, and an Aston Martin in your driveway one afternoon after your 3rd attempt jumpseat home got you back at 0130 in the morning...

You'd have to negotiate it into a contract for airline management to ever honor it... oh wait... we do that already. ;)

Airline management doesn't want to reward us with anything....But leverage allows one to dictate the pay and working conditions....The unions aren't having much luck with that because of the seniority system and the inability to transfer said seniority...

There are 2 solutions....

1. Come up with a union solution that allows us to transport seniority

or

2. Do away with seniority and allow the market to rule.....A senior United pilot might leave United if Delta would hire him at his current status...

Either way, we need the same leverage as management....They don't worry about transferring to another company....neither should we...

Time to think outside the box...

Joe,

It's time for you to leave the AirTran guys alone. They are going to be fine on their own. Step away from the computer or go hassle the ALPA guys some more.

Actually I don't think they are going to be "fine".....It's a shame....

PinnacleDude said:
P.S. I am open to setting up a cage match between Joe and 128. One night only. Winner takes all.

How about a debate....Loser buys a round for the audience.....

I don't care who the leadership is. No pay cuts!!! FOs can't afford to pay the bills, gt, yet you think we should consider additional paycuts if the "right" leadership asks for them? Sorry, it's not worth it to us. We're looking at 8+ year upgrades now. On these FO rates, that's not livable.
Dude,
You paid 20K to swing gear, ask your parents for another check, they have lots, don't they?
PBR

AAI is at a disadvantage to the legacy's because AAI doesn't have any international ops, which actually make money. quote]

Bingo! We could have started international ops years ago.

Every recurrent ground school I've been in (where somebody from management actually shows up), the question is always asked, "When are we going to start serious international ops?" Then the excuses start. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. This was a management decision not to start these ops and therefore a management blunder. Yet we the employees are asked to cover it. F-that!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back