Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NYRANGERS

Very mature Kevin

AirTran Airways: We Offered the Best Fares Yesterday, We Still Do Today and We Will Tomorrow
January 05, 2005 10:12:00 AM ET

ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., AAI today declared that the airline has always offered the best fares and will continue to offer the best fares.

"AirTran Airways has been offering low fares to our customers for over ten years now," stated Kevin Healy, vice president planning, pricing and sales for AirTran Airways. "We have been giving the consumers what they have demanded - an easy-to-understand pricing structure that is affordable and delivers real value. To match Delta's SimpliFares, AirTran Airways would have to raise our fares and add a bunch of restrictions and fees, and we are not going to do that."

While Delta Air Lines claims to offer a simplified fare structure, in fact, the new SimpliFares has a litany of convoluted rules:

* SimpliFares require a roundtrip purchase * SimpliFares require a one night minimum stay - in effect, Delta traded the Saturday night stay for a one night minimum stay * SimpliFares have inconsistent advance purchase requirements * SimpliFares offer no free standby for business travelers * SimpliFares "nickels and dimes" customers by charging extra for reservations in person or over the phone * SimpliFares have a litany of other convoluted rules

"SimpliFares is about as simple as the U.S. Tax Code -- and it is nothing more than big airline pricing mumbo-jumbo," stated Kevin Healy, vice planning, pricing and sales. "Once again, Delta is trying to mimic a highly efficient, low cost carrier like AirTran Airways, but they are falling short. It is difficult for a leopard to change its spots."

AirTran Airways has always offered simple, low one-way fares. In addition to low fares, AirTran Airways also offers the following amenities to its customers: * AirTran Airways offers Business Class on every flight, with upgrades starting as low as $35. * AirTran Airways offers the youngest all-Boeing fleet in the U.S.A. * AirTran Airways offers easy online booking and check-in at http://www.airtran.com * AirTran Airways offers low one-way fares with no roundtrip requirements * AirTran Airways offers free same-day standby at no charge * AirTran Airways does not "nickel and dime" customers with junk fees based on how a customer makes a reservation

AirTran Airways believes Chris McGinnis, editor of The Ticket, travel newsletter, and contributor to CNN, said it best in his Ticket newsletter, "In Atlanta, we have AirTran to thank for bringing common sense to air travel- although it has not ballyhooed it as such, Delta has been competing with "SimpliFares" on AirTran routes for the past several years." AirTran Airways is one of America's largest low-fare airlines -- with 6,000 friendly, professional Crew Members and operating over 500 flights a day to more than 40 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the world's busiest airport by passenger volume, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings AAI, is the world's largest operator of the Boeing 717 and has America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline recently added the Boeing 737-700 aircraft to its fleet, which like the Boeing 717 is one of the most fuel efficient and environmentally friendly aircraft flying today. AirTran Airways was also the first airline to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft. For reservations or more information, visit http://www.airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran).

Are you imlpying that it is immature of him to point these things out? Seems like good business to me.

Pimpin' said:
Are you imlpying that it is immature of him to point these things out? Seems like good business to me.

Their press release just seems a bit desperate. Comparing our fare structure to the tax code, is a little childish for a major airline like Airtran. I think some of his facts could be disputed. I'll check it out.

NYR

So, this press release was a little shallow. Who can blame AirTran for putting it out? Considering all of the free advertisement that Delta has gotten the last couple of days, AirTran is just trying to get in on the deal.

I just wish my carrier had enought sense to attempt the same action.

enigma

"Once again, Delta is trying to mimic a highly efficient, low cost carrier like AirTran Airways, but they are falling short. It is difficult for a leopard to change its spots."

Valujet did it.

As always, time will tell if this move will help Delta (I think it will). Airtran (IMHO) made a good move issuing a press release when they did. I just thought it was worded a little odd. Come on...."mumbo jumbo" ???

Maybe 2005 will be the year of airlines using attack adds against each other. It sure was entertaining in the last election.

Last edited:
Only a toid needs to bring up valujet, whenever airtran is mentioned. now get busy and start checking those airtran facts, buddy.

jetdawg said:
Only a toid needs to bring up valujet, whenever airtran is mentioned. now get busy and start checking those airtran facts, buddy.

I decided against it. I'd much rather exchange witty banter with a clever guy like yourself.

I brought up Valujet because it was a good example of a "leopard changing it's spots". Airtran has proven itself a a succesful airline and made a remakable transformation to become what it is today. I am surprised you could not associate the example.

None of this changes the odd response from Airtran. I thought it note worthy so I posted it.

Last edited:
NYRANGERS said:
Comparing our fare structure to the tax code, is a little childish for a major airline like Airtran.

I happen to agree with you.

I'm certainly glad that AirTran is riding the Delta wave of publicity, and I think the press release was a prudent and necessary business move....BUT... the "tax code" comparison and the actual words "mumbo-jumbo" used in a corporate press release was ridiculous.

Last edited:
AirTran Airways: We Checked Our Fares and We Are Still Lower Than Delta
Thursday January 6, 11:29 am ET
- Airline Checked 713 Markets and Did Not Have To Lower One Fare -

ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI - News) today announced that the airline's pricing department checked the 713 markets in which AirTran Airways files fares and did not have to lower one fare after Delta Air Lines introduced its new "SimpliFares" yesterday.
"AirTran Airways has always offered, does offer and will continue to offer the lowest fares in the market to the consumer," stated Kevin Healy, vice president planning, pricing and sales for AirTran Airways. "Consumers know that they can trust AirTran Airways to give them an easy-to-understand pricing structure and a great value on airfare. After checking all of our fares in the 713 markets we serve, we did not have to change any of our fares to match Delta. In fact, we would have to raise our fares to match them. We are amused at all the hoopla surrounding SimpliFares -- it is really no big deal."

AirTran Airways is one of America's largest low-fare airlines -- with 6,000 friendly, professional Crew Members and operating over 500 flights a day to more than 40 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the world's busiest airport by passenger volume, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings (NYSE: AAI - News), is the world's largest operator of the Boeing 717 and has America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline recently added the Boeing 737-700 aircraft to its fleet, which like the Boeing 717 is one of the most fuel efficient and environmentally friendly aircraft flying today. AirTran Airways was also the first airline to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft. For reservations or more information, visit http://www.airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran).

Media Contacts: Tad Hutcheson
[email protected]

Judy Graham-Weaver
[email protected]

Latest resources

Back