• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran cuts some more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys I might be wrong, I simply think this is a just to compensate for lack of B717 FO's, they have been calling them for a month offering time and a half almost every day because they are short, while we have a few excess B737 crews (especially captains) and no excess B717 crews. They may not furlough anyone and if they do, I dont think they will furlough all 35. They will leave some extras on the 717. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Dude please don't hijack this thread with your political foolishness. There are some good pilots at AirTran that will be losing their jobs at the beginning of the year. AirTran management has said they can make a profit with fuel at $110 dollars a barrel. Fuel is currently trading between $70 and $80 dollars a barrel. Capacity is down and prices are up. Also, if you go to AirTran's website and look under investor relations/earnings as of 10/10/08, they are forecasting a $37 million dollar profit for all of 2009.
The question we should all be asking, what gives? What is going on? Something is not right. Is this a negotiating scare tactic? AirTran wants a 10-15% percent paycut from its pilots. Is this a strong arm tactic they are using to attempt to scare pilots?
Scarlet, this is not the time or place for your political views. Start your own thread. Thank you!
Is it possible the company has a better idea of exactly how many 737 sales will finalize and is starting to get a better picture of how many total block hours we will be flying next summer? Once they get the block hour projection for the summer, they are just tweaking the number of pilots in each position during the slow time of the year when it doesn't cost as much to put them through training.

Given the economic environment we will probably be in for the next few years, I would rather be a little more conservative with slower growth. Even Southwest is comtemplating negative ASM growth for 2009 even with a guaranteed fuel prices for 75% of the fuel needs.

By the way, I do think the 15% CASM reduction proposal by management is a insulting considering the current steep drop in spot Jet A prices.

Shrinking to profitability! What a concept.
Yeah, because a 25% ASM growth rate is a better plan. Don't you think it is better to take a breather and see where the industry is headed over the next 18 months instead of forcing 15 more 737's a year into the system unprofitably.

We aren't the only airline that has slowed. Even Southwest is considering an ASM reduction for 2009 even with 75% of their fuel cost fixed.

Mike Best said we were heading for a bankruptcy filing the way things were looking in early July. At that point, I don't really find the proposal insulting even if I disagree with it since we already have the lowest non-fuel CASM out there. It is managements job to ask if we were that close to bankruptcy.

Then they took the proposal off the table when the mechanics turned it down and fuel prices started coming down. Then, with a total fuel bill of $10 million less a week, the company starts off the next round of negotiations with a 15% reduction in pilot CASM, that is where I am insulted.

Every flight is either sold to 60 or WAY oversold. Well, they show as over sold, but you know all those vouchers we they have been handing out to all those people we screwed in ATL over the last few years. I bet while the flight shows as over booked many of the seat are unpaid. I am just guessing. But why would anyone ride airtran if Delta, or Grayhound, is the same price.

Maybe it's all the fare sales I keep hearing about on the radio in CLT.

Unbefu*kinglievable...

and the hits just keep on coming... while they practically beg for people to fly right seat on the 717 side.

WTF?

Mike Best said we were heading for a bankruptcy filing the way things were looking in early July. At that point, I don't really find the proposal insulting even if I disagree with it since we already have the lowest non-fuel CASM out there. It is managements job to ask if we were that close to bankruptcy.

Giving pay concessions to management is like feeding your dog from the dinner table. It takes food off of your plate, and it teaches them to keep begging.

I would rather go into bankruptcy from our existing pay rates then from a position already 15% lower.

Glad to see that, no matter how or when we got to this point, at least we're both disgusted.

Ty

Last edited:
We were just told in class today from a retired guy(instructor) that it is all the captains fault at Airtran for not flying in the right seat. Then proceeded to spew scab retoric for the next 40 minutes.

We were just told in class today from a retired guy(instructor) that it is all the captains fault at Airtran for not flying in the right seat. Then proceeded to spew scab retoric for the next 40 minutes.

I am glad they can sit there and make comments like that when there is people who are struggling to pay bills. It really shows the character of the people who are in charge of the training department and why management fought so much to keep them there. Thanks NPA, what a worthless union you are!! I wish we had anyone else but them.

Latest resources

Back