Airtran charging $25 for jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9rj9

First Jumpseat is free, the rest have to pay 25 plus tax. I'm sure it won't be long before everyone starts this crap.

We'll see how long it lasts when Air Tran pilots start getting charged $25 on other carriers.

If this is true, all airlines had better start charging the Air Tran guys.

This $ucks.

Most of the majors will take their one off-line jumpseater, then leave the rest behind. THAT $ucks!!!

PS. I don't think the Air Tran pilots have anything to do with this policy...do you? I'm sure the Air Tran guys are putting the money in their own pockets.

Based on the email our jumpseat chairman got from the Air Tran rep, they are doing their best to get this changed. If I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd take it out on their pilots. But, then again, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be such a cry-baby, either.

Unfortunately this was implemented by management against our wishes, and we are trying to get the unlimited FREE j/s back. Please keep in mind we still have one free j/s just like most airlines (DL,UAL,AA), and the unlimited $25 standby pass is still better than being left behind or carrying an ID90 around in your pocket. Before you start planning "revenge" on us remember that UPS and FEDEX still carry 0 jumpseaters (and are also trying to change that).

Thanks for understanding.

Great, my own company (AMR) charges me a 'surcharge' to ride standby, now I'm gonna have to pay to ride on others?

I guess the 25 bucks is better than riding the pine in the terminal.
Good luck on getting this changed though. This will slowly kill commuting to work if all the other companies jump on the bandwagon and this kinda stuff gains momentum.

It makes sense to me to go the other way around and let as many off-liners ride as possible ride for free just in case 'Muhammed Nut Job' gets on board.

Then again AMR just put out a memo to the flight attendants to figure out ways to save weight on the flights. I guess we'll still carry just the one then. Kinda su*ks to see empty seats on the plane and sad faces in the terminal!

Last edited:
Man some people would b*tch about getting a new Cadillac for free, if it only included a half tank of gas.

I will give away as many seats to jumpseaters as I have empty, but the only one that I really have a right to is the cockpit seat. Any seat in the back belongs to the company.

I'm just da*n glad the AAI will let me on for $25. That beats the heck out of watching DAL push with one jumpseat rider and 50 empty seats, whilst my resume lights go off in my head.

To anyone who thinks that AAI pilots should be retaliated against, You obviously don't understand commuting.

To jettexas, I concur about jumpseaters being an asset. I am quite happy to have jumpseaters in the cabin. I know that they the best allies that my cabin crew has in the case of trouble. Too bad that management hasn't realized that.

regards,
8N

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Having been left behind by a couple of half empty airplanes and working for an umlimited jumpseat company,,,,please let us aim our abuse equally!!!

The Airtran guys are still honoring their jumpseat agreement...1 free. Just like Eagle, AA, NW, Delta, CO, UA...........etc.

If they are succesfull getting the 25$ eliminated for the ones in excess all the better...if not still better than ones listed above.

I'll take them all, space and weight premiting. I don't play the vengence game......AFTER ALL IT IS MANAGEMENT,,,,,,,,,don't slap your brothers and sisters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, United takes 2 free. Once those are gone, my experience has been: if either of the two jumpseaters are UAL or UAX and there are two seats open in the back, they'll write a free pass so that both the UAL/UAX guy and the third person trying to jump can get in back.

S.

NEDude said:
We'll see how long it lasts when Air Tran pilots start getting charged $25 on other carriers.

If this is true, all airlines had better start charging the Air Tran guys.

This $ucks.

Wow. Spoken like a true idiot. Maybe you should stop to think before you post.

Here are the facts:

1) AirTran will still take one jumpseater for free, same as most airlines

2) An AirTran pilot can choose to ride a pass and give up the free jumpseat to an off-line jumpseater, even an ass such as yourself.

Subsequent AirTran pilots can also non-rev in the cabin, leaving the jumpseat pass available for an off-line pilot.

3) After the first offline-jumpseat has been awarded, any remaining off-line jumpseater who needs a ride will be able to buy a seat for $25.

4) This is not something that the AirTran pilots like, and we will be working to change it .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back