Airtran charging $25 for jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F-B-C:

Can you explain what you mean when you say that you "understand" why the Capt said "no"? I'm not sure I get it.

Do you mean the capt. just didn't have any more options available to him?

I'm coming up on one year at FL, but it is my first airline, so some of these things are still new to me.

PS., Congrats on losing that 350 lbs (of cable). Must have been that "low-aluminum" diet.

Last edited:
I hope I misunderstood for his sake. Unfortunatly, he was STL based and lives in TUL. Im PIT based and live in TUL. He has a crash pad in STL. He knows me and I know him. I can assure you i will ask him about it next time we show up for a SW jumpseat.

Other then this dude, CHQ has been nothing but great with the jumpseat both in US and AA colors. Thankyou all for your kindness. I mean no disrespect toward any CHQ pilot other then this guy.

Comair guys, another great bunch of guys and gals on the CVG to TUL run. Thank you as well as well as to all AA mainline and Southwest crews.

Your all welcome on board my jumpseat if you want to stuff yourself into a Dornier. LOL

Take Care all

HP is also unlimited in the back, cabin seat required (which for us recently, has been the trick!)

We'll also let offline DX and Mech's ride as a cabin-riding jumpseater.

Yes, I said Mech's too. They hold an airman's cert just like the rest of us.

I'd like to add one more thing...

It should be the ALPA National Jumpseat Committee's policy to have unlimited jumpseats on all airlines.... and to accept nothing less!

Therefore, every airline should have "unlimited jumpseats" negiotated into their pilot contracts. That way, if it was contractual then the company couldn't change the jumpseat rules or play any games. They would have to have unlimited jumpseats because it would be a contractual legal document.

And I also think that cockpit jumpseating on all airlines should have been restored shortly after 9/11. Some hardcore ALPA Union pressure was needed, but just wasn't taken. It's very disappointing. ALPA seems to put so much importance on so many issues, yet not so much emphasis was placed on the jumpseat problem. The management of each airline could care less if you're stuck in some terminal or have Hell just getting home. It needs to be dealt with BY THE PILOTS and their unions for THE PILOTS.

Fly-by-cable

First off Im sorry to hear that happened to you. However, as part of the concession package that was reached by both mainline and wholly express carrier for the Chapter 11, we gave this much but also got a few things in return for us as well. One is a open jumpseat policy. It hasent taken effect as of yet, but hopefully soon. And the other was a commuter clause. Hopefully, something like Fly-by-Cable will never happen again on a US flight.

I hear it should be in effect sometime mid December. Ill post it when it's official.

Idiot?

"Wow. Spoken like a true idiot. Maybe you should stop to think before you post.

Here are the facts:

1) AirTran will still take one jumpseater for free, same as most airlines

2) An AirTran pilot can choose to ride a pass and give up the free jumpseat to an off-line jumpseater, even an ass such as yourself.

Subsequent AirTran pilots can also non-rev in the cabin, leaving the jumpseat pass available for an off-line pilot.

3) After the first offline-jumpseat has been awarded, any remaining off-line jumpseater who needs a ride will be able to buy a seat for $25.

4) This is not something that the AirTran pilots like, and we will be working to change it ."

I guess I am an idiot, I thought jumpseating was a recriprocal deal. I haven't heard anything about Delta, American or United pilots working hard to open up their cabins. Maybe they have been trying. But until then, if you are not going to allow unlimited jumpseaters on your airplane, why should we allow an unlimited number of guys on our planes? Your policy is our policy.

Ty,

What I was trying to say, is USAir's policy (at a time, not sure if it changed) was 1 jump seat -- one jumpseater...I had US guys that would say "if you get thue the gate agent, we'll take you anyway". This one desided to stick with rules...I can't blame him.
US guys have always been great to me, but my point was that I would rather pay for the saet than get stuck somwhere I really don't wanna be.

Perspective

Great post.

Ty Webb said:
Wow. Spoken like a true idiot. Maybe you should stop to think before you post.

Here are the facts:

1) AirTran will still take one jumpseater for free, same as most airlines

2) An AirTran pilot can choose to ride a pass and give up the free jumpseat to an off-line jumpseater, even an ass such as yourself.

Subsequent AirTran pilots can also non-rev in the cabin, leaving the jumpseat pass available for an off-line pilot.

3) After the first offline-jumpseat has been awarded, any remaining off-line jumpseater who needs a ride will be able to buy a seat for $25.

4) This is not something that the AirTran pilots like, and we will be working to change it .

Jumpseat

A CHQ pilot cannot non-rev on AA airplanes. He may ask for the jumpseat but just about everybody will bump him out (except you, unfortunately). This individual did not have the option of taking a seat in back and giving you the jumpseat.

328dude said:
You know, I never brought this subject up, but Im going to slime this board with it so that everyone can give me their input. I was trying to jump on a AA flight to TUL. A CHQ (American Connection) pilot had already signed up. We talked for a bit and chit chatted like old friends. When they started to board, he said have a nice 3 hour sit and walked down the jetway. Hmmm, I thought a bit and asked the gate agent if he was jumpseating or non reving. She walked on to the plane and asked him. He said he was the jumpseater. She asked him if he would mind non revving so a OAL could get home also. He said "NO". I even offered to give him 10 bucks for the seat. He still refused.

3 hours later i made it home. Thanks SW.

Talk about kicking someone in thier berrys.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back