• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran and SWA?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought he was in charge of trying to keep your company from doing something that creates revenue. Your CEO may see an opportunity to get revenue and serve markets via a proxy. What is RedDog's response? This wouldn't be good for me. Revenue for doing nothing but transfering bags. I'm sure he wasn't happy about WestJet either. Let's face it, SWA can't handle the international stuff yet. So you code share. I'm not sure what the big deal is outside your own selfish interests.

I know when I get on with SWA I will not rock the boat. A healthy company will equal job security for me.

He said that the big wigs at SWA really want to break into Atlanta.

That is correct, and that is why AAI would float the idea of a codeshare. The would hope we would take that route rather than go there ourselves. AAI is going to have its hands full with a new stronger DAL and it would likely be more than they could handle if we went in there to compete too.

I thought he was in charge of trying to keep your company from doing something that creates revenue. Your CEO may see an opportunity to get revenue and serve markets via a proxy. What is RedDog's response? This wouldn't be good for me. Revenue for doing nothing but transfering bags. I'm sure he wasn't happy about WestJet either. Let's face it, SWA can't handle the international stuff yet. So you code share. I'm not sure what the big deal is outside your own selfish interests.

I know when I get on with SWA I will not rock the boat. A healthy company will equal job security for me.

Your right I do not like codeshare. If the argument is presented correctly and it does not affect the pilot group (in routes that they could fly), I may be for it in the right situation. Face it, the codeshare with Westjet is going to create revenue...but at what cost. Those routes that "could" be flown with our aircraft and our pilots will not be. Once that starts..it will not end. 1 route here...1 route there.....hey it is cheaper to have those guys fly it because the labor costs are less therefore we make more money on that route....ok lets take SWA off it and put AAI or Westjet..so on and so on. Look at the legacies....it does not work...or does it (at the cost of the pilots) At one point all those RJs were mainline aircraft. Sure I could see in some very small community...sure may make sense but from PHX to Toronto...come on we should be doing it.

I guess the LUV stops when it starts to effect you. What happened to all the "This is a great company" talk? As soon as someone mentions codeshare we see the self interests come out. If I owned stock in SWA I would expect the CEO to do this. Not to mention try and get a 5 year pay freeze from my most expensive employee group.

I guess the LUV stops when it starts to effect you. What happened to all the "This is a great company" talk? As soon as someone mentions codeshare we see the self interests come out. If I owned stock in SWA I would expect the CEO to do this. Not to mention try and get a 5 year pay freeze from my most expensive employee group.

Well, yes. It affects my life. I do not get your point. Of course we love this company but when it starts to affect your quality of life, your paycheck, your future.....you obviously don't get it. Well if you ever do get on with this airline you might understand and then if you lose your job over "revenue rise" at all costs then you will lose your job to some RJ feeder. You have not learned a damn thing from these other guys and the pain they are going through. I may sound like a hypocrite saying I wish a big airline was out of the picture for the rest of us but then it is all about the team you play for...(we know which one TC plays for)....If I worked at AAI or UAL I would want to fight for my company and to fly my company's routes...not have some other airline fly mine.

This Airtran thing was hot and heavy last year as well, and it didn't happen. Mark my words are words we read once a year. SWA code shared with ATA on their way down, I wouldn't forecast SWA to code share with with Airtran unless they were on the way out either.

I have no crystal ball of how Airtran is doing, are they healthy?

Let's ask ourselves what SWA gains with AAI. A bunch of 717s and routes that they're already flying with the exception of Atlanta.

What does SWA get with ALK? 116 737s. 1500 737 pilots. Canada. Mexico. Hawaii. Alaska. A fully developed West Coast route structure where, while SWA is present, they're not extremely strong (North of California, that is.).

Oh, and don't forget $1.1 BILLION dollars in cash and cash equivalents. And a strong fuel hedge position, second only to their own.

Didn't Gary Kelly say he wouldn't consider acquiring an operation that wasn't significantly hedged?

Alaska Air Group

Market Cap (mil):

P/E Ratio:

Dividend Yield:

AirTran

Market Cap: 300 million

In other words airtran is less than half the price. Also 737/717 lease and mortgage rates with some of the worlds best terms. Lots of overlap which can be cut out and then the fares jacked.

As far as lots of SWA pilots are concerned (myself included), this codeshare business needs to stop.

Glad to hear it. Our contract doesn't provide any protections from this, and I'm not sure that the NPA is focused on closing that loophole. I hope you guys get some language to protect you from it.

Any flying done for SWA should be done by SWA pilots, and any flying done for AirTran should be done by our pilots. Enough of this codeshare bulls---. Just one more tool that management uses to screw us while they make millions.

Latest resources

Back