Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

luv2fly

SWA FO
I remember back a few weeks there was quite a bit of talk about Airbus and Airtran. What was the outcome? Is Airtran taking on the Airbus? The reason I ask is early this morning I saw an A320 in Airtran paint parked at a heavy MX facility at KXNA.

No decision has been made on Airbus vs. Boeing. The Bus you saw was one of the Ryan A320s to be used on the LAX and LAS runs until we get our own transcon birds.

Airbus A320's

Just to clarify XGmaninGA's post:

Airtran has contracted with Ryan International to fly A320's in Airtran colors to select Western cities. I know this consists of a LAX-ATL run and a LAS-ATL run. We've also been told there will be a DEN-ATL run but I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere official yet. We've also been told it will be 2 airplanes but, again, that's just what I have heard through the rumor mill.

Also, the rumor mill has this lasting anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. 2 years sounds like an awfully long time to me and I can't imagine that the AirTran pilot contract would allow AirTran management to outsource that kind of flying for 2 whole years. Does anyone have any more info on that?

RyanB727

For the pilot group to allow this, management must have given the pilots something in return.

here's the deal

Ryan will fly the airbus to LAX and LAS from ATL. DEN will be done by us on the 717. We are going to bring the thrust up on several 717s(they are significantly derated) to allow us to fly that route.

The company asked the union for relief from a part of our contract limiting out-sourced flying to six months. Our BOD voted to allow the out-sourced flying until our contract comes up(about 2 years) or until we have enough capable aircraft to do the job ourselves.

This is seen by most as favorable as it allows us to expand now instead of next year or later.

Just curious...with Ryan flying for Airtran out west...what will the jumpseat policy be...as many as open seats or what? I thought I heard of a $25 "fee" for additional jumpseaters on Airtran a while back? Thanks...

717 driver

What thrust rating are you currently producing on the 717, 18,500 lbs.? Do you need to boost it up to 21,000 lbs for Denver (for high / hot performance)? Also, do you operate the airplane at 121,000 lbs?

Any info if Boeing is interested in a -300 series that I understand airTran wants? The last I read, Boeing my shut the line down after they finish building Midwest's aircraft.

GearUpBitch said:
Just curious...with Ryan flying for Airtran out west...what will the jumpseat policy be...as many as open seats or what? I thought I heard of a $25 "fee" for additional jumpseaters on Airtran a while back? Thanks...

Ryan’s own jumpseat policy should stand (whatever that is – limited or unlimited), meaning if your airline reciprocates w/FL but does not w/Ryan, you’re SOL.

Ryan Jumpseats

I fly in the cargo system for Ryan and over there unfortunately we can't take ANY jumpseaters other than our own because all of our empty seats are in the cockpit (trust me....no one hates this more than we do. We cargo guys DESPERATELY want to be able to reciprocate with everyone). I am not 100% sure how it works in our passenger system but I believe we take as many jumpseaters as are standing at the gate....provided there is a seat in the cabin. We have reciprocal agreements with every other 121 carrier that I can think of off the top of my head so chances are if you ask for a Ryan jumpseat, we should be MORE than happy to offer it to you.

My guess is that since it'll be our gate agents and our flights, it will be the same as our other flights.

Hopefully, AirTran pilots will be able to get actual jumpseat on these flights, and Ryan on ours . . . we have that worked out with Air Whiskey, which also does sub-service for us.

Latest resources

Back