AirTran Airways Races Into Newest Destination - Indianapolis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

75M

Ok, I can't help it, Im psyched. I live in Indy and as great as the Delta, ATA, Southwest and Chicago Express guys have been, nothing beats commuting on your own airline. Heck, I might even get a layover at home once in a while.

AirTran Airways Races Into Newest Destination - Indianapolis
Daily Nonstop Service to/from Atlanta Starts May 4, 2005;
to/from Orlando June 7, 2005
ORLANDO, Fla. (January 11, 2005) - AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced the airline will commence new daily nonstop service to Indianapolis International Airport from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport beginning May 4, 2005. This route will be served by the airline's popular Boeing 717 aircraft with 12 Business Class and 105 coach seats. The airline will also be adding a daily nonstop flight between Indianapolis and Orlando International Airport beginning June 7, 2005.

"We see an opportunity to bring high quality, low-fare service to travelers in Central Indiana, and we're pleased to be able to offer that new option," said Kevin Healy, AirTran Airways' vice president of planning and sales. "These flights will provide Indianapolis with its first low-fare, nonstop service to Atlanta, as well as convenient connections to more than 40 other destinations across the country with our all new, all Boeing fleet. Customers in our other markets also will appreciate new access to this prime vacation and business destination." AirTran Airways will offer the following new daily nonstop flight options to/from Indianapolis starting May 4, 2005:

Nonstop Service from Indianapolis:
To Departs Arrives Frequency
Atlanta 6:00 a.m. 8:40 a.m. Daily
Atlanta 10:30 a.m. 1:05 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 2:20 p.m. 4:55 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 5:40 p.m. 8:15 p.m. Daily

Nonstop Service to Indianapolis:
From Departs Arrives Frequency
Atlanta 9:20 a.m. 9:55 a.m. Daily
Atlanta 1:10 p.m. 1:45 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 4:30 p.m. 5:05 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 8:55 p.m. 9:30 p.m. Daily

AirTran Airways will offer the following new daily nonstop flight options to/from Indianapolis starting June 7, 2005:

Nonstop Service from Indianapolis:
To Departs Arrives Frequency
Orlando 12:50 p.m. 3:55 p.m. Daily

Nonstop Service to Indianapolis:
From Departs Arrives Frequency
Orlando 11:00 a.m. 12:15 p.m. Daily

Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson commented, "We are extremely pleased to welcome AirTran Airways to Indianapolis with its great customer service and low fares to many popular destinations. The addition of these flights reinforces our position as one of the lowest cost airports in the nation and continues the unprecedented expansion of air service at Indianapolis International Airport."

Listed below are sample one-way fares (fares are valid in either direction) to/from Indianapolis:

Dest. / Lowest Coach / Lowest Walk-Up / Business
Atlanta / $94 / $189 / $224
Orlando / $79 / $177 / $229

AirTran Airways A+ Rewards members earn double credits for bookings at airtran.com through January 31, 2005. Go to aplusrewards.com to enroll.

AirTran Airways, one of America's largest low-fare airlines with 6,000 friendly, professional Crew Members, operates over 500 daily flights to more than 40 destinations. The airline's hub is in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways, the world's largest operator of the Boeing 717, recently added the fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700 aircraft to create America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline is also the first carrier to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft. For reservations or more information, visit airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran).

Last edited:
Hooooray! Now I don't have to drive to Dayton!

Well at least AirTran will be flying the B-717 to Indy instead of the B-737.

This is good because the Flightinfo server couldn't handle the posts by Ty Webb about all the SWA Pilots cuting in line for takeoff!!

Just kidding Ty... when you finally log off and get a chance, give me a call at the house you friggin' troublemaker.

Last edited:
Kind of understand the ATL but MCO is already served N/S by DAL, SWA, ATA, and NWA. Either a bluff or MCO is just the beginning of FL destinations out of IND.

I don't see it as being a bluff. The FL MO as I have seen it is to:

a) open a station with flights to ATL, and MCO
b) add TPA, BWI and DFW, and
c) increase frequency, while looking for point to point opportunities to other FL stations.

It kinda follows the proven MO, even if there are other airlines doing it.

You know, I would have felt bad about this, because this is the same kind of behavior I was complaining about SWA doing to USAirways in PHL and PIT, but after reading the Corn Dog Cult's explanation of why it wasn't really a bad thing, I feel so much happier and guilt-free now.

I suppose I should also thank Capt Seth and some of the other ATA guys who said such crappy things about AirTran for helping me feel better too . . . . Sniff! Thanks, guys, you're the best!

Oh, God, another Midwest destination . . . .Maybe we can all get together and do a little cow-tipping . . . . . and, no, you'll have to leave your wives at home this time.

Last edited:
I suppose I should also thank Capt Seth and some of the other ATA guys who said such crappy things about AirTran for helping me feel better too . . . . Sniff! Thanks, guys, you're the best!
The only crappy things said about AirTran pointed at the fact that you, TY, felt absolutely no connection to others losing their jobs, not even one thought of maybe we should give these guys preferrential interviews. The mayor at least sounded like he cared more than you. Your true colors really shined.

Oh, God, another Midwest destination . . . .Maybe we can all get together and do a little cow-tipping . . . . . and, no, you'll have to leave your wives at home this time.
Your true phobia and hatreds really are a bore.

Welcome to Indy!

Latest resources

Back