• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran - a warm welcome my friends

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've come to the conclusion that most folks who are trying to stir up crap between swa and AT don't even work for either one. It's not that hard to change your type list to show either a 73 or 717. Relax and think before you post guys. Don't try to defend yourself or position to a RJ driver. Happy flyin'.

Thanks for the welcome. The 717 is actually a DC-9-717. So there is no type difference between a 717 and a DC-9. The big stuff is actually very similar in both airplanes, its the cockpit and the automation that is different.
There's about a 0% chance that any current SWA pilot will fly the 717. Those guys will be fenced until the leases run out. Then they'll transition to the 737. Just imagine all the qual training that would have to be done if they had an equipment rebid after the SLI? Doesn't makes $en$e.

Yes Air Tran brings a lot to the table:

1. Aircraft
2. Routes
3. Gates

4 ??? There is not a 4 because SWA didn't buy the Air Tran employee's
Well well...I was wondering when you'd show up here Ronald. Still furloughed from NetJets? Trolling from your basement again.

Let me explain some common sense to you:

When Corp. A merges operations with Corp. B on Monday; Corp A must service that network or loose it. To keep that network humming, you do that with employee's from Corp. B. Follow me so far? Now since AirTran is a Major airline, which you probably still can't comprehend what that is, SWA can't just waive a magic wand and have AirTran re-staffed by Friday. That means that employees come over with their equipment. There is also a few regulatory items like Allegheny-Mohawk and Bond-McCaskill that come into play here. Google those two on your little Atari 800 and see what they mean.

So when AirTran merges with SWA, they don't come hat in hand. They bring a Major airline fleet of 137 Boeing jets, 50 firm orders and the professional union pilots to fly them alongside their new co-workers at SWA.

But there is even one more thing that they bring that is more powerful than either company could create by themselves: CRITICAL MASS. Yes, this one umbrella item is going to be what allows the combined carrier to survive and grow amid the mega carriers of Delta/NWA and United/CAL.

You on the other hand will still be a insignificant piss ant troll. Enjoy your new job as C-172 flight instructor.

The stable is illegal. Congress made it so. And trying to do it round-a-bout leads to a judge ruling against you and other companies getting the award while bidding with less money.

These guys talking stable are jealous. .Period. They would love nothing more for us to suffer, and the deal to fall apart. They are probably shaking in their boots because we will be a force to deal with on the eastcoast. They r worried about their jobs. (btw, never stop worrying no matter who you work for).

This flamebait is a lure for you to spill your beans and expose your postion.

Say nothing.

You will soon have them to brother. I apologize for getting heated. Gotta protect my current SWAPA brethren. We will all know soon enough. Cheers!!

I know you have to look out for your brothers. Vixin. My only concern is that if enough Pilots keep repeating the mantra that "AirTran's not bringing anything to the table" there are going to be a lot of guys that will have a hard time stomaching the SLI because they've convinced themselves that AirTran's not bringing anything to the table.

Southwest has proven itself to be a great airline, but it was getting to be a mature airline, with senior, more costly employees, and much of the low-hanging fruit (routes) had already been picked.

Now, they are getting nearly three dozen new destinations, losing a serious competitor, gaining access to the busiest airport in the world, gaining Caribbean and Mexico routes (Canada, eh?) plus 137 new(ish) airframes and the pilots to operate 'em. We are gonna ROCK!

Can I get an A-men! Hah!

Brutha Ty and the family Stone :cool:

Last edited:
Attrition? What attrition? We may lose a few guys a month to places like Emirates or other foreign carriers, but definitely not 160 over the next 6 months. That was what was planned for new hire classes through March.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back