AirTran 717 vs 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
one thing to say about the 717 (dc-9) - dial-a-flap

profile mode is nice. computer is way too slow if you're already descending, so some of that mental math is still needed. it can burn you too depending on how you select headings as it remembers which way you originally dial the heading bug, not nice at say DCA. when it was new at MEH someone violated DC airspace due to this.

the rolls engines pack some oomph for the airframe, like other tabbed creatures it flies like a mack truck (original fly-by-wire). autothrottles are nice, autolandings are simple to setup. handflying it is easy, doesn't thrust vector too much (if it does its the opposite of the 73). stiff landing gear, but overall an easy airplane to fly. no idea if airtran bought the autobraking system or not.

Our current contract pays the same for both types. Generally speaking for the same days off, the 717 affords you about 5 hours more pay for the month. Since we have cut capacity and reduced flying hours, guys/gals are looking for more effiency. Why have 16 days off and get paid 76 hours instead of 82ish? The more junior your are, the less productive your schedule is going to be as well. My advice is to study both bid packets and check the schedules of classmates on the other plane. (This is my take on why the last group jumped back to the 717).

go ride the jumpseat.... The 717 is all control tabs and springs. There is no feeling, artificial or other wise, to it. It is a piece of crap with a nice avionics package, the seats are awful, you fly a lot of legs and all the red eyes are the unscheduled ones, the training dept is trucked up and switching means 2 months in the ghetto with the chance of getting stuck with a month of reserve when your done with IOE. On the up side, the avionics are very nice all the systems are automatic, it doesn't go anywhere internationally (a big plus at airtran). I have never flown the 737, but my personal advise is stay where you are. For every plus the opposite airplane has, the pain of switching is gonna out weigh it and you will still be working for the same shifty company.

"...the training dept is trucked up..."

Is the 737 training (dept) better?

Latest resources

Back