AirTran 717 vs 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nindiri

So, I'm thinking of bidding over from the 73 to the 71. I know that the 71 is supposed to be more automated, but that's about all I know about it. I'm going to jumpseat on it once or twice and see how I like it, but it would still be interesting to hear what anyone else thinks about it, both the airplane itself and the schedules.

What is your motivation for doing so? Potential upgrade? Don't like red eyes or long legs (haha)?

Last edited:
What is your motivation for doing so? Potential upgrade? Don't like red eyes or long legs (haha)?

Boredom, mostly.

And laziness. A highly automated airplane would be nice.

I kind of like the long legs and red eyes, though, and I don't think the 71 does any of that, does it?

Boredom, mostly.

And laziness. A highly automated airplane would be nice.

I kind of like the long legs and red eyes, though, and I don't think the 71 does any of that, does it?

Try using a laptop on the longer legs, gives you something to do....LOL

wouldn't the automation make the 717 more boring than the 737? I flew them both. both are nice but I think you will miss the power and the climb capability of the 737.

depends on what you want. I think the 717 has more productive schedules but you will also fly 42 legs a day, the 737 I tend to hand fly it to a higher altitude than the 717. I have not flown a 717 for close to five years so things may have changed.

Good luck on your choice.

If you are bored of flying East of Dallas, then go for the 737. It also flies to SJU and CUN, so you get a little over water action. In the Summer SAN, SFO, and SEA layovers are probably pretty nice, and the 737 goes to almost all of the same destinations as the 71, but then add West Coast stuff. Is the pay the same? And, you did say that you don't mind allnighters. I don't think your 717 does those.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So, I'm thinking of bidding over from the 73 to the 71. I know that the 71 is supposed to be more automated, but that's about all I know about it. I'm going to jumpseat on it once or twice and see how I like it, but it would still be interesting to hear what anyone else thinks about it, both the airplane itself and the schedules.

Don't forget you've got CRJs now to choose from, right? No? ;-P

If you are bored of flying East of Dallas, then go for the 737....

Ah, General, he's already ON the 737, and thinking about going TO the 717. Got it? Once more for review: Already ON the 737, going TO the 717. Wow...

Latest resources

Back