Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJsensa

Airtran pilots,

I realize this might not help much but I wanted to share my experience at SWA. I was a capt at a regional airline and on reserve for 4 yrs. I only had 11 days off a mth and was used every single day I was on reserve. I routinely was given min rest of 8hrs to work a 14hr day the next day. I am sure many of you can relate to this schedule and I am not sure how similar the reserve system at Airtran is. What I would like to try and explain is that it is nothing like that at SWA. In fact, seniority is not treated the same at SWA either.

1.) Jumpseat - Seniority has no weight. It is on a first come basis and there are three jumpseats on most airplanes. So, if you are a commuter and many of you will be no matter the SLI, this will help with the pressure of commuting. We also have a very good commuter policy. One SWA flt that gets you into base one hr prior to report and your good.

2.) Bidding - While bidding is done on a strict seniority basis. We have hard lines and the quality of the trips are just about the same. The only thing you are bidding on is days of the week and length of trips (which can all be altered on the 25th).

3.) Vacation - You bid one week of vacation/round. So, you very well may get that week of vacation in June you want. Only the top 10% get the vacation over the holidays.

4.) Holidays - I have been at SWA for 6yrs and have yet to work a Christmas or Thanksgiving. Maybe it has been luck?

5.) Open Time - Bidding open time straight pay or premium pay is seniority based up to a point. That point, I believe, is 115% average mth line value called the CAP. So someone senior to you, but over the cap, will not out bid you.

6.) Reserve - Not really seniority based either. It is a leveling system that I do not think anyone really has figured out:) Someone senior to you may get called before you do. Reserve is no where near as bad as it was at the regionals. When assigned a trip, you will most likely complete that trip in its entirety. You have 15 days off a month and can give away your blocks of rsv. Example - Three day block of rsv assigned. You sit the first day and do not get used. You can give away the other 2 days once you are released from day 1. And, yes there are plenty of people who will pick up a 2 day or 1 day block of rsv. This allows you pick up a 3 day in open time or from another pilot and thus crediting much more than your rsv guarantee. Another thing unique to SWA reserve. Anyone legal for a trip assigned to a rsv can take that trip at anytime prior to that rsv reporting or push with mutual approval. This is great if you live in base or want to do a little extra flying.

7.) Furlough protection - Well, SWA has yet to furlough any pilots. I realize this may change, but SWA is very well positioned making the risk of furlough less.

I keep reading Airtran pilots complain that their QOL will be hurt, but I think once you are on property and figure out the system your QOL will improve over what you have at Airtran. You will work when at work, but this is what allows you to have 17 + days off/mth and 110 trips for pay (tfp). At 6yr pay that is 110 tfp X 116.60 = 12,826/mth or $153,912/yr. I think this close to what a current Airtran capt makes. The above numbers are very realistic.

So, when you hear SWA pilots complain about this AIP, it is because we feel that every Airtran F.O. is getting their upgrade by coming to work at SWA. Every Airtran Capt is at the very worse remaining status quo or getting a second upgrade $ wise. The only thing we have to make this deal equitable is upgrades. If this AIP gets voted in then from our (SWA FO) perspective every pilot group except for SWA FO's are getting their expected capt pay.

As for seniority, yes it is important, but maybe a little less important at SWA than other airlines. The $$$ is what makes the difference. I once heard a very senior capt complain that his "seniority made absolutely not difference in his QOL except the days of the week he worked"

Not sure if this helps anyone. I know there is a lot more cheese being moved on the Airtran side and thought maybe this would help with some of the anxiety of all this cheese being moved.

Thanks for sharing that. Great post. You answered a lot of mine and I'm sure other's questions.

So, your theory is AAI pilots should just roll over and play dead for you. Highly unlikely.

Screw job for the Airtran pilots.Period.

Outside looking in- relative seniority throughout the entire list, no fences, no different ID's, no B-scale pay.

Don't sell yourselves out, because at the end of the day where all looking for direct Beeno to get home faster.

CRJ, I appreciate your post, it's well-thought and professionally-written, thank you.

The only angst I have is what you wrote towards the end: "The only difference is what days of the week I work". That's a pretty big difference when you start talking about weekends off with family, holidays off, better vacation bidding, etc., and if the SWA pilots are right and growth happens only for attrition, that crappy work schedule lasts for over a decade for most of our pilots.

The money is good, no doubt about it, but you'd have to be blind not to see that losing 1/3 of your place on the list is a bitter pill to swallow. Hence the angst. Hope you guys can understand it, even if you don't agree with it; we all have our perceptions and points of view.

the SWA guys all sound like drug dealers trying to push crack at some school kid (AT guys)

"come on, just take it. you know you want to. all the cool kids in the orange and blue 737's are doing it, come on kid - just a hit..."

Latest resources

Back