• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airport Ready Reserve or Hot Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can see your point coopervane, but it sucks having done it for almost 2 years now. I agree it's good that the lineholders aren't getting extended as much. I think Air Wisconsin doesn't even put short call guys on ready reserve, but they have ready reserve lines-maybe someone from there can shed some light on that for me.

At AWAC.......

I only ever made the mistake of forgetting to bid once and ended up on RR for a month.

We have RR only lines and generally only 2 CA's and 2 FO's per base. Lineholders and normal RSV's can't be used for RR.

You either get the morning slot or the afternoon slot but you know in advance because you bid on the lines.

You're on for 8 hours, so with our Duty Rig, it works out at 4 hours of pay regardless of whether they use you or you just sleep.

If you get used for something that takes you past your 8 hours, anything over that goes on top of guarantee. So for local guys, you can be home every night and make a bit of extra money. DCA FO RR lines go fairly senior because of this.

The RR lines are 5 on, 3 off, with a contractual minimum of 12 days off.

The RR's are only ever used as a last resort by Crew Scheduling, So things have to be dire, before you to end up being used.

Very specific language in our contract about what has to be in a RR room; Lazy boys, TV, Phone and Fax, etc.

Last edited:
Kenny,
If you get a RR line there how many times do you do it in a month? Is it like 4 or 5 days in a row every week?

Changed my original post to include that info.

XJ: 8 hours, no more than 4 consecutive and 10/month. 4 hr min day. Randomly assigned.

Yikes!!......not so bad at ASA

I'll admit, on the face of it it looks bad but it's very easy to credit 85-95 hours a month and only fly 15 hours. You spend more time at home and if you're an FO, you'll end up spending far more nights at home than you would if you were a lineholder or normal RSV.

For a lot of guys that's a really good deal.

We have a provision in our CBA, but not once in 5 years have I heard of any RAH pilot doing hot reserve. Of course, not out of the companies goodwill towards employees, only because we flat out don't have the staffing to do it.

TSA sit for 10 paid for 5 hours or block flown if called out whichever is greater. No max times per month to do it. Airport reserve guys are called in from home reserve or they use reserve guys finishing up flying...reserve guys have to check out with scheduling at the end of a pairing that was assigned so there are only a few ways this call can go. 1. Released from duty for the day. 2. Released back to home reserve. 3. Sit airport reserve (10 hours starts from show time for the day not when u call scheduling so thats kinda nice) 4. Assigned more flying.

Line holders can NOT sit airport reserve.

Latest resources

Back