Airport Managers at Major Airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Are the Airport Managers at Major Airports FAA employees or do they come through the DOT? What are the prerequesites for these positions (hopefully they require some kind of aviation background).

Where can I find more information/ where can I learn more about people and their profiles in such positions?

Its my understanding that the airport manager works for whomever owns the airport which is usually some kind of goverment entity (city, county, state, regional commision, etc). He usually answers to a board set up to over see the airport (airport authority, etc). For example; Atlanta/Hartsfield is owned by the city of Atlanta. The airport manager works for the city.

The group you are looking for is called the AAAE - the American Association of Airport Executives. They were HQ'd in Alexandria, VA before I gave up my membership.

Good luck. You think getting a pilot job is hard - I tried networking into some positions - it was a long hard process that never paid off for me - but you are most welcome to try.

"What are the prerequesites for these positions (hopefully they require some kind of aviation background)."

No...

The canidate at most large airports has to be able to perform like his or her predessesor. That means they should be 100% corrupt. Exhibit a high degree of accepting graft, and have the ability to cover ones corrupt practices. The position of "Airport Manager" is a ripe Plum for every bureacratic ass who will spread corrupt bounty around to selected few. The willingness to decieve the tax paying public to pay for, non bid contracts, lack of accounting of airport revenues, and acceptance of tenant lobbying at the cost of tax payer dollars is the norm. If you desire to join this select group of pricks. Jump right in, I suggest you recieve a little on the job training though beforehand. Spend some time with the fellows resideing at your choice of Federal prisons. The individuals you meet there could supply a limited amount of on the job training. Most likly they would exhibit a higher standard of character and accountability then the professionals employed as "Airport Managers" at large airports.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back