Airport Friendly Shoes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seconding Deer Stags.

$50 at Zappos (next-day delivery!), comfortable with no break in, and they keep a good shine. But, I've had them less than a year, so I can't speak to their durability. The best I've found in 8+years.

Bostonians for the last 4 years. I believe most of their lines of shoes have a nylon shank instead of steel. They're fairly cheap, (like me), and last a long time.

Another vote for Ecco. I just retired my first pair after 4 years of use. They are now my primary dress shoe when the occasion requires but I no longer wear them for work. I replaced them with another pair of Ecco's. I purchased my first pair on a whim, at first balking at the $140 price-tag but when it came time to shop for another pair, I only looked for Ecco's, to hell with the price.

I flew with a guy who was on year 12 with his Ecco shoes. He had a repair shop replace darn near everything but the leather of the shoe itself 4 years before. Why not buy a new pair? I have no idea, but they still held a shine and looked great.

http://www.skechers.com/style/4296/work-scholars-harvard/bwxv

$45.00 at Sears on sale. No they don't last 25 years like the Ecco's. I have "over-pronation" so my inner heels wear out on any shoe within a year or two. Very easy to keep this shoe looking new. Super Comfy. Been using this shoe for over 15 years for flying.

Q:
Are these TSA friendly? IE, no metal shank. Are they waterproof?Asked on 9/20/2009 by Jim from Atlanta, GA
Know the answer? Answer this question
2 answers

• CUSTOMER CARE

A:
    The Harvard have metal eyelets, so they may not be as TSA friendly as other styles, such as the Scholars-Ivy slip on. There is no metal shank in the shoe. They are not waterproof, although you can treat the leather to be water resistant.Answered on 9/23/2009 by Tim the Shoe Guy from SKECHERS
  • A:
    These shoes are TSA friendly. I wear them for work, and I work at the airport, and I never have had them go off going through TSA.Answered on 12/18/2009 by Zack from Chicago, IL

Kenneth Cole (with Silver Technology). I believe they use a ceramic shank instead of metal. They are a little pricey but you can wear them with suits etc.

+1. Very classy looking and made even more comfortable with aftermarket "Superfeet" insoles. Real leather and a gum rubber sole (*no "man made" material that end up making my shoes smell like someone took a dump in them after 6 months). I am a little disappointed that the sole is starting to wear after 2 years.

The next one I'll try is the decent looking Doc Marten. I hear they are amazingly comfortable and very long lasting.

http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=13188001

Security friendly shoes / boots? Anything an FFDO chooses to wear on any given day.

Okay what am I doing wrong? I bought a pair of Ecco's, I liked everything about them but after about 1 year the leather on the toes was all worn and they looked terrible.

My Sketchers on the other hand are still going strong after 5 years, they're looking less rough than the Ecco's after a year.

Deer stags. J.C. Penney $40. They are super comfortable. They last me around 2 years.

Latest resources

Back