Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Any idea on how long it should take get a Commercial glider and then CFI-G coming from a CFI-A background? I would be fliyng a 2-33 and possibly a 1-26.

It can and has been done in 2-3 days total. However, that requires everything to come together perfectly (good weather, no broken equipment, quick learning progress, etc). More realistic picture would be about 3-4 weekends (2 weekends for commercial, another 1-2 weekends for CFI-G). That's pretty much how it turned out for me.

With all due respect, yes you can get ticketed, but to be able to truly teach soaring, as opposed to the mechanics of aero-tow, release, pattern and land, will require months at a minimum.

Gorilla is right!

Please do yourself a favor. Start with the Com. glider certificate and then go from there.

As for time frame. Well, first take the CFI-G written if not already done. Then go down to Chilhowee, Tn (near Chatanooga) and talk to them. They are on the web. It should take about 5 days or much less depending on the equipment, wx and instructors and tow pilot availability.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Gorilla said:
With all due respect, yes you can get ticketed, but to be able to truly teach soaring, as opposed to the mechanics of aero-tow, release, pattern and land, will require months at a minimum.

You are absolutely right. Soaring is a skill that can take a lifetime to master. I was just responding to a question regarding time it takes to get the ink. We all know that no matter what the certificate or rating, the real learning begins after the ink dries.

I'm also interested in this- I'm partway thru CFI-A training and started glider flying as an impulse last week in an L-13.
I had a blast, to say the least. I'm assuming that since this is another category, you need to meet the 61.129 experience (200TT, 20 glider flights as PIC, etc). This seems to be the case according to 61.63, but at the club I went to, knocking out 10 flights in a day would be pretty tough, for those talking about a few days to get the add-on. Did I misinterpret something; I would assume it's not like adding a class where you just train to proficiency.

mitsdriver said:
You are absolutely right. Soaring is a skill that can take a lifetime to master. I was just responding to a question regarding time it takes to get the ink. We all know that no matter what the certificate or rating, the real learning begins after the ink dries.
It's kind of like the difference between a pianist and a piano player. Me? I was never really able to go much beyond the "piano player" level. Sure, I could manipulate the controls good enough, but I was never the equal of some of the masters the were out there flying with us. Never the less, it is a valuable experience that (in my opinion) everyone should have.

'Sled

You need 15 hours PIC in gliders to be able to take the CFIG. That would be tough to do in a few days considering you can't log PIC while training unless it is a solo flight.

61.183(j) Log at least 15 hours as pilot in command in the category and class of aircraft that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought

Latest resources

Back