Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IHaveAPension said:
Are they hiring?

Looking at your experience, I had to laugh. I understand majors are in tough times, but I hope you don't have to go back to a regional with those qualifications. Try UPS or Fed Ex. I'm sure you posted that jokingly, but never know.

USC328

USC328 said:
Looking at your experience, I had to laugh. I understand majors are in tough times, but I hope you don't have to go back to a regional with those qualifications. Try UPS or Fed Ex. I'm sure you posted that jokingly, but never know.

USC328

Actually my post was a crack on psysicx. He always asks the most obvious of questions, ones that have already been answered previously in the thread.

Anybody know if you get hired as a SIC where they base you at? I'm about 150 hours away from 135 mins, and just applied to AirNet. If I get hired SIC, will I get based at a random base until min's, then moved again?
Thanks!

AirMugsy said:
Anybody know if you get hired as a SIC where they base you at? I'm about 150 hours away from 135 mins, and just applied to AirNet. If I get hired SIC, will I get based at a random base until min's, then moved again?
Thanks!

The SIC bases can be assigned on a case to case basis by the chief pilot. SICs receive identical training to the PICs up through the Baron checkride. Then the PICs train on whatever additional plane (if any) that they will need for their run while the SICs go to work at building their time. So the SICs do their time on busy Baron runs, but not necessarily just at LCK. A guy from my class went through as an SIC and had family near a particular airport in our system so he worked it out with the chief pilot to do his SIC there- they found a Baron run there that was busy enough to meet the criteria, it was approved, and off he went. They're pretty flexible about the SIC as long as it's a busy Baron run. Taking the actual PIC run though is as others have indicated- assigned by need and on a seniority basis. So to get a specific base after serving as an SIC, three things need to happen. 1- you must reach the minimum qualifications to serve as PIC. 2- There must be an opening on the bid sheet for the desired base. 3- You must be the most senior person to bid on that run.

Recently I've heard talk about the possibility of Airnet hiring pilots into specific bases to eliminate the uncertainty involved with the process. This idea is in its very early stages and I wouldn't hold my breath, but at least it shows that they're open to the idea and it's not impossible to see that happen sometime in the future.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back