• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines fight for the bottom of the barrel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717, you hit it right on the head, I don't see why most people don't seem to get this?

... Do you want to return to the days of 5 airlines with 200 planes each just so the airlines can charge a "fair" price and fill them up with nice, wealthy people dressed in suits and ties? ...

Yes, please! :D

AA717driver said:
Low fares have created a whole lot of pilot jobs. Do you want to return to the days of 5 airlines with 200 planes each just so the airlines can charge a "fair" price and fill them up with nice, wealthy people dressed in suits and ties?

Maybe you'll get a job in one of those airplanes but most likely, you won't.

It's just not as simple as jacking the fares.TC

Sounds good to me! Many will lose their jobs but the ones who remain will have an enviable career once again. Its better to have a career where all who are involved in it can live the good life than the 2 bit pilot jobs that are out there now.

Automation has cheapened labor. The risk has gone down and so has pay. Being an airline pilot isnt what it was decades ago. The airlines figured out a way to run this show cheap. Personally, I don't see this changing much at all.

pipejockey said:
Sounds good to me! Many will lose their jobs but the ones who remain will have an enviable career once again. Its better to have a career where all who are involved in it can live the good life than the 2 bit pilot jobs that are out there now.

If anything reducing the number of planes will only further depress wages. You will have a huge pool of highly qualified desperate for work pilots fighting for a handful of jobs.

Why is 100K/yr plus a 2-bit job?

pilotyip said:

Because the year is 2006 and the cost of living, funding one's retirement and saving for kids education is expensive. You are stuck in the 70s/80s Yip.

800Dog said:
Because the year is 2006 and the cost of living, funding one's retirement and saving for kids education is expensive. You are stuck in the 70s/80s Yip.

I'm all for getting as much money as we can negotiate, but don't try to sell that line to Joe Sixpack when you're on strike.

pilotyip said:

It's not, as long as it doesn't take a college degree, plus $75K of flight school, plus 5 years of food-stamp wages, and then another 5-10 years.

GogglesPisano said:
It's not, as long as it doesn't take a college degree, plus $75K of flight school, plus 5 years of food-stamp wages, and then another 5-10 years.

Oh for Pete's sake Googles, please edit that and don't get the yipman started on the college degree thing again!

Please.

Good thing I've got the yips on ignore, cause I can't stand to hear his rants about college and the mystical 100K barrier he can't seem to comprehend. If you guys would quit quoting him I would never have to read his posts!

FJ

Latest resources

Back