• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines brace for Kennedy runway closure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is gonna be a mess for ALL JFK operators. Be prepared for extended airborne holding hundreds of miles away from JFK...

It is gonna be a mess for ALL JFK operators. Be prepared for extended airborne holding hundreds of miles away from JFK...

How is that different from any other day? A couple of years ago I flew SAN-JFK, daytime, not a cloud in the sky from coast to coast. We held over CLEVELAND for an hour at FL350. After finally released from holding we were vectored all over creation and back all the way to JFK. Only when we told them we were going to divert to PHL did we get vectored for the approach.

I never have figured out why they can't use all four runways. ORD seems to do a much better job with arrivals and departures off different direction runways.

I think "Avoid Pairings If Landings In JFK" will be one of my top preferences till summertime!

I thought we all were paid by the hour.:uzi:

How is that different from any other day? A couple of years ago I flew SAN-JFK, daytime, not a cloud in the sky from coast to coast. We held over CLEVELAND for an hour at FL350. After finally released from holding we were vectored all over creation and back all the way to JFK. Only when we told them we were going to divert to PHL did we get vectored for the approach.

I never have figured out why they can't use all four runways. ORD seems to do a much better job with arrivals and departures off different direction runways.

I think "Avoid Pairings If Landings In JFK" will be one of my top preferences till summertime!

The only other airport close to ORD with any major amount of traffic is MDW....Look how close EWR, LGA and JFK are together...along with rwy config..If I recall correctly, the twr sup at LGA makes the config call for the TRACON...you really can't compare ORD to JFK in reference to chopped up airspace and such...From one who has been there, I think they do pretty good with what they have..It's just like on this side of the mic, good ones and not so good ones...

This is going to hurt B6 the most! Perhaps Jetblue management should look elsewhere and grow into new markets that don't include JF'nK! Just a thought!

Yes it will "hurt" us some....along with anyone else operating into JFK.

YES...we HAVE already altered our sked for those months and the months leading up to this. We will be running a reduced sked up till the end of June...and I'm sure big D will as well. If anyone tried to keep a full sked, it'd only hurt themselves and everyone else. I imagine there was probably some kind of requirement of carriers to ease back on the # of flights during the construction period.

I'm hoping this "necessity" will breed some innovation for the JFK ATC fellas and discover a way to really move some metal around. And hold onto that once the penalty clock is 00:00

JFK, worst airport in the world.

and that doosh on ground dont help either.

The only other airport close to ORD with any major amount of traffic is MDW....Look how close EWR, LGA and JFK are together...along with rwy config..If I recall correctly, the twr sup at LGA makes the config call for the TRACON...you really can't compare ORD to JFK in reference to chopped up airspace and such...From one who has been there, I think they do pretty good with what they have..It's just like on this side of the mic, good ones and not so good ones...

And do not forget TEB, HPN, ISP, FRG, all pretty busy airports in their own right. And not too far down the road is PHL.

Once got a hold for 30 minutes climbing out of FLL due to spacing to EWR.

Another time held south of DCA for over an hour, diverted into BWI, landed at midnight and held on the ground until 0530. Unfortunately our duty did not start until 5pm, so were good to be on duty all night.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back