• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline to MIL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guard not gone 200 days out of the year ... not unless your LDHD. My average since joining the ANG in 2001 has been 280days TDY per year. Not always in theater, but the demand on our time is out there. Utilization depends on mission and not all airframes are alike, so when you pick a unit be ready to meet that unit's needs and not your own. That's hopefully what the boards are looking for, a guy that's willing to DO what it takes ... not one willing to SAY what the board wants to hear. that's my 2cents.

Right now the ANG is still having people complete their 2 year title 10 activation. I finished my 2 years, dude's in my unit who have only finished a year are being called back to finish their two years. In the C-130, slick C-130, community the average sandbox rotation is 60 days.

If you are a junior guy without a job, or furloughed, this is a time to get a ton of days and stay employed. The downside is that you'll be in the desert having some tool lecture you about disco-belts.

Either way, when you come off your title 10 activation, it becomes your hobby again.

Good luck.

CLAMBAKE

Last edited:
Go Guard

The ANG baby route is the way to go. I took that road and am very glad I did. USAFR is probably just as good but I don't know how many UPT slots they get. ANG units get 1-2 UPT slots a year. Viper548 has the order of priority in hiring correct. From what I hear at my unit the quality of off-the street candidates has not been that strong....in other words the selection board has not been very impressed with the quality of the candidates. I'd recommend getting professional interview prep just like you would for an airline job. I highly recommend EmeraldCoast (Albie15).

I think the time away from home varies by MWS (Major Weapon System). In fixed wing I think the C-17 is going to have the most activations and days TDY, followed by J-STARS, then C-130's & C-5's. Tankers follow, then the pointy nosed airplanes are away from home the least (just a guess, I don’t really know). My KC-135 unit was activated for Kosovo (only 1-mo.), OEF (9 mos. of a 1-yr activation), and OIF (4 mos. of a 1-yr activation). We were never away from home for more than a 60-day tour. We try to do most of our TDYs in rotations and with volunteers. It’s not often you're doing something without volunteering for it. I’d say a traditional part-timer in the -135 like me has averaged less than 60 days TDY/yr over the past 10 years, maybe 75 days/yr average in the last 5 years. Some do more, some less. Full timers tend to do more because that’s their job and upper management leans on them. Usually part-timers are given 1st dibs on trips. Bumming (troth-feeding) is also an option if you don’t have a regular job or if you get furloughed. I’ve even seen guard baby bums become ANG full-timers.

I can say from 1st hand experience, the QOL is good for a guard baby part-timer in the -135. While there is a number of units loosing -135’s (some or all) and there will be ANG pilots looking for work, there is still plenty of opportunities if you are willing to relocate. Some old hats will not be willing to move and units will still be getting 1-2 UPT slots a year.

A 4-yr college degree is required, and you'll have to pass an initial USAF flight physical. Flight experience helps in the selection process, the more the better.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
The interview is tough. A lot of HR questions with a couple tech ones thrown in. My interview panel had 4 officers with all of them asking questions. I thought it was harder than my interview at SkyWest.

Latest resources

Back