• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline to guard Transition...advise???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll add a slightly different perspective about the enlistment route.

In 1981, I did enlist. The unit I enlisted in (192d TFG, VaANG) selected me as an alternate. I did get a slot when another ANG unit couldn't fill an open slot. I went to AMS, then UPT. At UPT (CAFB), my blood pressure acted up and I was grounded. I returned to Virginia and was processed for discharge.

In the meantime, I looked for a non-aviation slot in the Army NG. That worked and I retained all associated benefits, including Montgomery GI Bill. That helped pay for my flight training (60% after private license). I didn't plan it this way, but the second income and the flight training benefits turned out to be a nice insurance policy.

I did all of this while I was a F/A at a major airline. For the most part, they complied with all laws pertaining to time off for required military training. The only time I ran into a problem, I didn't back down and they didn't try to pull the same tactic with me again. Now, I'm retired from the ARNG, and fly at CMR.

A good friend of mine is an intell officer with the A-10 unit in Battle Creek. He flies with NetJets. He likes his situation.

Good luck...fly safe!

You guys have CP's in heavy units? Is that like the Ops O?

Yes we do have chief pilots. The command structure is very similiar to active duty. In the reserves, the full timers (pilots) are typically the WG/CC, OG/CC, Director of Operations, SQ & OG Chief of Stan/Eval, SQ & OG training, SQ scheduling, SQ & OG Tactics, XP, and Current Ops.

The SQ/CC and Chief Pilot are traditional reservists. Eventhough they are traditionals, they are still responsible for their particular job duties.

There may be some deviations here and there, but generally this is what the staff would look like.

Latest resources

Back