• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline to guard Transition...advise???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One other piece of advice. When you say you are talking to the recruiter, is it the base recruiter or is it the pliot in charge of pilot hiring? The recruiter can only get you so far in pursuit of a pilot job in a Guard unit. If you aren't already, you need to talk with the pilot in charge of hiring. He/She is the person that can give you the answers you are looking for in the specific unit. As far as getting time off from your airline job to go to UPT, it hasn't been a problem at all for the few guys that I know that have done it.

Thank you all!
I’m 25yrs old and the unit I would like to shoot for is the A-10s in Battle Creek MI. I was thinking, join then get known, so when there was an opening I could grab it?? Is there anything that says i will join only for a pilot slot?? My luck some fluke will come along and i will be digging ditches for 6yrs.
I have a meeting with a recruiter next week. i appreciate all the input, i have a page and a half of questions so we will see. i suppose i should kick up the schooling and then apply? What is the wash out rate?? Anyone know how the airlines are about you leaving? Is there anyone out there that has gone from airline to guard... pros/cons?
Thanks again guys

I was in your same shoes a couple of years back. The one thing I would do different, is make sure the unit that you go to is one where you want to live at. I am commuting to my guard unit now and it sucks. Just make sure you can live where you go. As for the easy time, depending on what airframe you go to makes the difference. Going to the fighters, the track may be harder, yes I agree. Going the heavy route that I went, it was easy. You just have to go in with a smile on your face and be able to take a little critique about your flying. The IPs will want to use you as a refernece down the road so they will be extra nice to you. Nobody is perfect. The prior time will help a lot...someone who tells you otherwise, probably did not have the prior time. There has been many a debate about this in the past. Mabye it just helped me. You have some time on your hand with your age but it will go fast so get on it. Good luck.

Thank you all!
I’m 25yrs old and the unit I would like to shoot for is the A-10s in Battle Creek MI. I was thinking, join then get known, so when there was an opening I could grab it?? Is there anything that says i will join only for a pilot slot?? My luck some fluke will come along and i will be digging ditches for 6yrs.
I have a meeting with a recruiter next week. i appreciate all the input, i have a page and a half of questions so we will see. i suppose i should kick up the schooling and then apply? What is the wash out rate?? Anyone know how the airlines are about you leaving? Is there anyone out there that has gone from airline to guard... pros/cons?
Thanks again guys

I was in your shoes about 9 years ago. Flying for a regional and trying to go to UPT. I don't know what the washout rate is but with your hours unless you suck or have a crap attitude, you will make it through. There are few cons to going on mil leave from a regional. It doesn't matter how they feel about it since it's federal law and they have to let you go. Google "USERRA" for more info. The pro's are great training, doing something most can't or won't do, being able to mil drop crappy trips when you get back from leave, etc. The only con for me was it probably cost me some seniority at a major since I was out of the 121 game for 4 years. The ultimate would be to get a line number at a place you want to spend a career and then go to UPT. Short of that, do what you have to do and get the degree done ASAP. At 25, time is not on your side and 30 will come fast!

IFF is a little different game than the heavy route. The washout rate in the heavy route is proably .0001%

just get a fake set of transcripts (google online). Of the 2 units that hired me none checked and only one even opened my sealed transcript envelope.

tell them your went to "some county" community college, got your 2 year degree in avaition science then transfered to "some state"+"southern, northern, eastern, western" college/university and finished you 4yr. prof pilot degree.

The A-10 is considered a fighter the last time I checked. Just come in with the correct attitude. Of those 4000 hours, how many were spent pulling G's and in formation? Probably about as many as joe blow has off the street.

The A-10 is considered a fighter the last time I checked. Just come in with the correct attitude. Of those 4000 hours, how many were spent pulling G's and in formation? Probably about as many as joe blow has off the street.

What??? Nobody metioned anything about any of that. IFF is tougher than the heavy route, mabye that makes it easier to read.

I made the switch fairly recently and it has been well worth it. Realize that there is a fair amount of queepy BS involved, especially in the first year and you have to be patient. But once you hit UPT dude nothing compares to military flying.
A couple answers to your questions...
-Don't worry about the washout rate, you will kick ass during T-6s and things will even out during -38s... By the time you get to IFF everybody is even
-Talk to the pilots at the unit and take what the recruiters tell you with a grain of salt
-Enlisting is up to you, it's a crap shoot. I got hired off the street but if you really want that spot enlisting may be a good option. You won't be limited to that unit even if you enlist there. If I had to do it again I probably would have enlisted early in the application process. If you don't have a stellar resume this will set you apart. Again, ask the pilots in the unit.. most like to hire from within the unit but some don't.
-Mil leave was easy, even better if you actually want to go back to that company. Overall it will be about 4 years.
-Degree and an ok GPA = important, without them your app will be thrown out

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back