Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FO4HIRE

Hello all!
Im sure this has been asked many times but I can’t seem to find it on here in a search. Im currently a CRJ captain at a regional with about 4000hrs. Considering joining the guard. Only experience I have is high school ROTC. The kicker is I do not have a 4yr degree, currently in the works via online classes. I guess im just having my second thoughts before...or if I sign?? Should I join the unit and then apply when the degree is done? Im not exactly the coldest beer in the fridge, is there a chance I sign and then get airsick or something in training?? That is if I even get a slot? I have another meeting with the recruiter this wed the 7th of mar. Are there any questions i should ask, and anything I should avoid?? Just looking for some advice or comments and help is greatly appreciated!
thanks again!!

Get your degree first, then apply.....unless you want to enlist in the guard to first show them you are worthy, which might help you get that slot anyways.

Just remember if its not in writing on your paperwork..... It aint gonna happen!! Look into the Army Guard, they dont need a degree to send you to flight training. Also, dont take NO for an answer untill you have exhausted every avenue of approach. Good Luck and keep the dirty side down...

Captain Happy

... Also, dont take NO for an answer untill you have exhausted every avenue of approach...

If you complete your degree, there will be less "NOs" than without it.

I had a student (in SUPT) without a degree. I believe he said there was a certain number of credits required in order to be considered. He was going to a guard C-130 unit.

There was(or is) an old guard reg that allowed one to get commissioned without a degree. You then had 5 years to complete it. I only know of one person that has done this and this was probably about 15 years ago...I personally would finish the degree before enlisting.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it's going to be useful enough for you to enlist. I'm came in right off the street and didn't know anyone. It might be helpful at a fighter unit or something like that, but i would focus on getting your education done. Depending on your age, time may be your limiting factor.

Do not enlist unless you don't mind not flying if things don't go well. Finish the degree then see where you are and if you still want it. How old are you? You may run into the age issue if you are not close to finishing your degree. With your experience, UPT would be pretty easy and a fun time....it was for me. Good luck

I agree with the above posts. As RedDog asked, what is your age? If you are pushing 30 your chances are dropping very quickly. Every unit is different, but in my unit we hire 2 years out, so if you are 28, you are out of luck. I wouldn't let that keep you from trying, as I said every unit does things a bit differently. As far as the college waiver, you are required to have a minimum of 60 credit hours. Our unit used the waiver 3 times, but the last one was around 1990 and we don't even consider it anymore. If you are serious and age isn't a major factor, I'd finish the degree ASAP and apply to every unit you can. Good luck.

With your experience, UPT would be pretty easy and a fun time....it was for me.

I wouldn't go into it with this attitude... fun yes, easy not so much. Certain things will be easy in the first 6 months but plenty of high time dudes have washed out after things even out. Experience helps, but it won't get you through the whole program and it definitely won't get you through the follow on training.

Otherwise good advice, get the degree done. I got hired when I was almost 29 and waivers are available for the age 30 rule.

Thank you all!
I’m 25yrs old and the unit I would like to shoot for is the A-10s in Battle Creek MI. I was thinking, join then get known, so when there was an opening I could grab it?? Is there anything that says i will join only for a pilot slot?? My luck some fluke will come along and i will be digging ditches for 6yrs.
I have a meeting with a recruiter next week. i appreciate all the input, i have a page and a half of questions so we will see. i suppose i should kick up the schooling and then apply? What is the wash out rate?? Anyone know how the airlines are about you leaving? Is there anyone out there that has gone from airline to guard... pros/cons?
Thanks again guys

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back