• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Airline" show

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it's the unusual stuff that makes it on TV - guy in a tiger suit, drunk pax, wedding dress run over by a tug...

so, if they filmed the flight crews, they'd end up only showing unusual situations. bad wx, go-arounds, diversions, mx problems. those situations reinforce the negative attitudes passengers have, i.e. the planes break down, weather is scary, this airline can't get people to their destination on time...

for the same reason you don't see many stories about "normal" passengers, you wouldn't see episodes about "normal" flights. so i think it's a good thing they don't focus on the negative side of our jobs. besides, what if the camera filmed a crew busting an FAR or making some kind of procedural error - even mistakenly reading back the wrong altitude clearance. would you want a camera crew up there with you?

A Joke for you!

Heard this the other day - it's a joke so don't take it personally (you could actually apply this to some other airlines).

Did you know every time a Southwest airplane takes off somewhere there's an empty trailer park!

I gotta laugh...:p

DrinkSweetTea said:
I wasnt aware that SW could taxi and takeoff...faster then everyone else.
In many of their cities, they do. We used to depart ELP the same time they did. As soon as the tow bar was disconnected, they'd come up on tower: "Southwest Sixten-twenty-one's ready at eight-right." (Wind 230@9)

Now I don't know the 737...it's possible that there is no required pre-takeoff engine warmup/stabilization period or checklist on that airplane. They certainly couldn't have done all those things during that short taxi! I guess that's their secret.

what i find annoying and frustrating is that every time i see a show/movie that has anything to do with flying/aviation it's always something negative. i really can't stand when they try to incorporate plane crashes in a tv show. (saw something on this week--dont remember the shows name) what happened? at one time flying was considered something grand and wonderful. today everyone especially the media just focus on horrible things.
maybe someone will come along and make a show about flying that shows the fun, beautiful and exciting part of it.

In many of their cities, they do. We used to depart ELP the same time they did. As soon as the tow bar was disconnected, they'd come up on tower: "Southwest Sixten-twenty-one's ready at eight-right." (Wind 230@9)

In all the jets I've flown you have a 10 knot tailwind component. In the -200 it's 15 knots dry, -300/-500/-700 10 knots dry. So, what's the problem???? If you're legal to do it then ask for it and go!

Now I don't know the 737...it's possible that there is no required pre-takeoff engine warmup/stabilization period or checklist on that airplane. They certainly couldn't have done all those things during that short taxi! I guess that's their secret.

Once again, in all the jets I've flown I've never heard of a "pre-takeoff engine warmup/stabilization period." This must be unique to your CRJ 200. Now, I have heard of and here at SWA we have after landing stabilization cool down time considerations...besides, our engines never cool down due to our short gate times.:D

RJ

RJones said:
...in all the jets I've flown I've never heard of a "pre-takeoff engine warmup/stabilization period." This must be unique to your CRJ 200.
I guess so: it's two minutes.

So you guys have no checklists either? Just light 'em up and go?

RJones- Last year in AMA we were working our away around weather and getting vectors for a VOR to 13. SWA was shooting the ILS to RWY 4. Winds were 14023G28. Not sure if the nose gear was lost on touch down or the return to the runway. It looked like the engines were totally trashed. Why would your company continue to take such risks?
Last week into LBB the winds were 170 at 18. We flew the visual pattern for 17. And, guess who came on the radio asking for the staight in to 26? Right, SWA. Now, I know we are all big boys/girls and can land in a stiff crosswind but given the more appropriate choice would you want to sit across from the FAA if something went wrong? The taxi time has got to be close to the same.
I had thought about applying to SWA but , from what I have seen, I just don't think I would fit in to the SWA mentality.
I fly under one rule (well maybe several) and that is, if I had to sit across the table from the FAA and /or Company, can I justify my actions and decisions?
I am not trying to sound cocky but as a kid who grew up in SOCAL and flew SWA it has been disheartening to see your line operations first hand.

>maybe someone will come along and make a show about flying >that shows the fun, beautiful and exciting part of it.

it's a noble thought, but what would you show? you'd have no problem filling a special on day-in-the-life of an airline pilot, but then what? how would you fill 20 episodes?

it's a common complaint about the media, too much negative news. but when it comes to what people read, hard news wins out over features by a huge margin. and sadly, dear abby, the comics, and (in Florida) the obituaries get read more often than anything written by a reporter...

but if you 've got some good ideas, pitch it to A&E. with the success of Airline, maybe they'd listen.

The show's a rip-off of "Airport" on the BBC.

(Without the accents.)

Hey Wil- Compare our 30+ year safety record against the other major carriers.......hhmmm
Also, from the pilots at Southwest..Thank you for NOT applying.
LUV ya!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back