Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Saw it for the first time a couple of days ago.

When I first heard about the show I thought, "Wow, free advertising for Southwest". After seeing the show I thought, "Why would Southwest want this type of exposure?".

The episode I saw included passengers getting bumped who were trying to get to Florida, a passenger wearing a tiger suit who seemed to be just a bit crazy, two overweight people who were told they might have to buy an extra seat, a drunk passenger who was trying to get to a funeral, and a passenger who was wearing a mini mini skirt and had no undergarments...problem was, it was a man!

After seeing this episode I wondered how anyone would be enticed to fly on WN (when the price is matched by another airline). Personally I wouldn't have wanted to sit next to any of these people.

I remember seeing an episode of MAD TV where, in one skit, a passenger stated, "Thank God for Southwest Airlines, the ghetto bus of the sky". The episode of "Airline" I saw did nothing to dispel that perception.

Also, thought the show was pretty boring (like most "reality" TV), but I guess I was in a mind-numbing sort of state while on my layover.

GP

I recently had the opportunity to travel 3 one way legs on on SWA. I used to jumpseat on them all the time but hadn't been on them in a while. I purchased these tickets on their website, and they were quite inexpensive. They also were able to provide all the direct (non stop) flights to avoid connections and airport appreciaiton.

I like and believe in the SWA model... BUT... BUT.... I gotta say thet their product is borderline subpar. No assigned seating, cattlecar, and rearward facing seats. Miserable ride to say the least. And the prize for being the last to get on, horrible seats, and no overhead baggage space.

I will put my airline product against theirs anyday. If SWA would go to assigned seating, and a business class, and some sort of IFE (inflight entertainment) god help all of us. That is what AirTran is doing, and why we are kicking along at a good rate, and if we could get SWA people skills, we would never have to worry again.

There is one thing that stands apart with SWA, and that is their people. If it were not for their GREAT people, they would be in trouble.

SWA knows how to treat their customers, and it was glaringly obvious during my trip.

Good for them, and thanks SWA.

You could put a camera in any major airport and you would most likely find the same kind of people. Welcome to America....home to a diversity....that is what you see.

Also, I would rather fly for the "ghetto bus in the sky" any day because I know they are more concerned about saving money for their passengers, as well as keeping cost down so they can take care of their retirees and employees down the road.

As a passenger, no one can beat SWA on boarding times and getting me to where I want to get to fast. I am so sick of sitting on these legacy carriers that take an hour to board and 45 minutes to taxi and take off. If it means no assigned seating and extra perks as well as a cheaper ticket...I'll take it any day and so will most passengers. If you want luxury and want to pay for it and you're not worried about the time sitting on the ground, then I agree, the other carriers might suit your style.

Just my two cents.

and 45 minutes to taxi and take off

I wasnt aware that SW could taxi and takeoff safely and faster then everyone else.

As a passenger, no one can beat SWA on boarding times and getting me to where I want to get to fast

So when you connect as a passenger on Southwest and have to go stand in another line to get a boading "letter" and then have to once again stand in the cattle line when boarding begins..this is better as a passenger?

People have a preference....obviously passengers don't mind what you call the "cattle lines" or else SWA woudn't be in the black. All airports are going to have "cattle lines" especially since 9/11.

I just flew SWA for the first time this Mon and Tue, paid for by my company. Here's my take:

The airplanes looked like pieces of sh!t. What are those, surplus JT8Ds from Boneyard B-52s? The hose-off leather seats weren't all that bad, but it did look a little dingy inside. Like a bus, I guess.

The ticketing/boarding was no different to me than any Major carrier. I sat until the appointed time, I got on, I sat down in the nearest seat vice an assigned one. My boss and I shared a side so two seats w/nobody in the middle. Both planes were less than 1/2 full. The flight down to IAH was maybe a quarter full. This differs from AMR/UAL/DAL how?

Love field is closer to our corporate HQ but the A parking garage is under construction and is a piece of sh!t. I prefer D/FW big time but it is more expensive.

The costomer service is no different than AMR/DAL/UAL/etc. that I have observed w/the exception that when I was on my cell phone trying to get some work done when they were getting ready to take off the stewardess hit me with a rolled up magazine. I thought that was kind of funny. And hung up.

Their uniforms looked like street clothes and it could be argued that the Majors have more class. I would agree. The pilots looked a little disheveled but that was probably a function of how many hours into the day they were.

Ticket people: no difference.
Gate people: no difference.

Frankly, I didn't feel any more "special" or particularly well attended to on LUV than I did on the legacy carriers.

My conclusion: LUV ain't doin' customer service or personal attention any better than anyone else. Their only advantage is cost (as far as I know, I didn't buy the tickets and didn't compare). Frankly, I would pay more for a little class and a meal, but I don't guess were' back to the meal part yet, are we?

Just my humble opinion.

SouthWest's "airline" is a waste!!

I think SW's "Airline" reality show is a waste. I used to work the ticket counter before being a pilot and those kind of BS customer service problems occur everywhere and you have those same ahole passengers running all over the place. I think "Airline" is boring, because it focuses on problems with passengers in the boarding area. Who Cares!! It would be cool if there was a reality show having to do more with the crew, and have lots of flying scenes. Wouldn't viewers like to see that kind of stuff as opposed to some passenger complaining about his bags?

NO!

People want to see a couple of drunk, high, white-trash-dirt-bags get pissed off and cuss and threaten to sue and just get rowdy. No one wants to see FA's pass out peanuts and cokes. No one wants to see out the front window during cruise...boooooring. Not to me though, I love flying. Just my $0.02.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I think that the show is invaluable to the reputation of SWA's customer service department. They've turned every friggin cheek on their body and are ready for more. The same people patron the other airlines too, but there are a greater percentage on SWA. Also note that they aren't going to show the couple whose trip goes absolutely smoothe, and doesn't make a scene. That doesn't make for interesting television.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back