Airline QQL...Make a change!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RVSM,

Kudos to you for being a real man and a great father. I suspect, as I get older with kids of my own, that so many of us have some degree of disillusionment (is that a real word?) and restricted hope for our own lives. The love for my children far outweighs desires for personal enrichment. Sounds to me like you have it as right as it can be.

Skyline,

You pretty much summed up my feelings exactly. I don't think very many people here can really understand these feelings until they experience them. I have been an airline pilot for well over a decade and yet I am a probie at a very stagnant regional (which I already spent 5 years at in a previous tour). I am here because I cling to the known and certain - airline piloting (and because I can be based where I want to live). I am seriously considering a move to corporate flying, or even to non-flying work, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I took this job thinking I could ride it out 'til the left seat comes, but that will be take so long that it is practically financial suicide. This is, of course, not to mention the sour feelings stirred by some of the children on here who currently Captain jets on many of the routes I used to fly as a mainline pilot. I, too, feel beaten - yet I cannot seem to say "uncle".

FYI, for those who think this is whining....I absolutely take full personal responsibility (seemingly a novel concept nowadays, but I digress...) for the choices I've made: a few good, most quite poor. That doesn't make it any easier on my psyche, however.

Now back to your regularly scheduled banter....

Last edited:
Kids

Swaayze,

Thanks man. Last Friday my oldest kid had a music recital at his school. It is nice to be home and able to participate in all those things I missed before. I was laid off from my last airline two years ago. Since then we moved back to our hometown and have enjoyed the rural lifestyle. We were all good troopers during the airline years. We moved a lot and lived in some big and lonely cities. My wife and I hated the low wages and bad schools. Now that we are home again we are amongst our friends and family again. Our QOL it fantastic. The kids are in good schools and we can afford to live like kings here where our dollar didn't go very far in the city. I still miss the dream everyday and I am sure to carry a small bowling ball in my chest for the rest of my life, but there are few other options. It sounds awful but my biggest hope is that my dream airline will strike and I can get on as a scab someday. Outside of there nothing else fits my needs.

Skyline

Latest resources

Back