• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mkay?

Who's your Daddy?
Afternoon All -

Well my whopping $15K a year isn't paying the bills. HA! Imagine that! I was hoping that we could start a laundry list of second jobs that work with an airline schedule. I would be specifically interested in anything involving real estate.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Oh yeah ... let's please not turn this into a "if we could halt the race to the bottom, then we wouldn't need second jobs" debate.

MKAY!

Ok but reality isn't much prettier. I've worked for promotion companies, been a DJ (weddings,frat/soho gig's, etc), delievered pizza. I found that all of these extra money makers are very flexible around the glamorous life of an airline pilot. I know quite a few people that have gotten thier real estate lic and seem to do pretty well there.......but I guess it is fairly time consuming and you have to have patience. Between flying and all of my part time gigs, I'm starting to realize why I'm getting nowhere in life fast, because I refuse to get a real job! Sure beats working though! By the way, can you spare a quarter? Good Luck to you and try and have some fun. Life is to short. AD

Real estate is a big one, I personally work construction, and make actually really decent money, almost if not double my income from first year FO pay. I got a good job were I set up my schedule when i can, and dont have to work only certain days, works for me.
Anthony

Avro-
"Sure beats working for a living!" .....God, I get so sick of hearing that. I think you were joking. Good one. If we were actually making a "living" or didn't have to spend 18+ days a month on the road doing it then maybe that would be a little easier to stomache. I hate to complain but it's hard to be proud of your profession when you have to spend over half the month on the road just to make 30k/year.

Try event promotions. The people that hand out stuff at ball games and busy spots in town, like gum, breath mints, credit card apps, etc. My cousin does that, shows up when she can and sometimes the gigs pay up to $250 a day. Not the most glamourous work but if you need flexible quick cash, not a bad way to go.

In addition to my glamorous charter pilot/flight instructor job, I have started doing trade show booth installation and removal. The money can be pretty good - $250-300 per day. I bring a small tool box (cordless drill, screwdrivers, etc..) and they provide most of the tools/equipment you need.
Try to find an "Exposition services" company in your area - they call me with a job and if I can do it I do. The bigger companies (nationwide) are GES, Nth Degree and a couple others I can't think of. You could also talk to people at your local convention hall, they would probably know the smaller local companies.

Before the market dried up, I'd do Construction thru a temp agency while sitting reserve. For a while I wasn't flying all that much so I'd take my uniform and put it in the car if I got called I'd leave.

Lately computer skills are my lil helper, I hire out freelance.

If you know anything about golf, you might want to try to be a looper. You know, a caddy. I've done this in the past and have made some pretty good coin ($100-$150 per loop). I also know a guy who was working at CarMax selling cars. They hire all kinds of part-timers.

Latest resources

Back