• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Pilots & Second Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Substitute teach. $95.00/day where I live and you can always set up a job that day if you're off. As long as no one gets hurt and I get a check it's a good day.

B1900FO

Hey spunky......read the post I didn't say " It sure beats working for a living".........I said "it beats working". Promotions, pizza driver, DJ, pilot......... when I sit back and look around when I'm at "work", I'm reminded that I love these jobs and I have fun while I'm doing them. They all pay crap, but I love em and that why I do em. I'm on my second airline here, which I know ain't shi.t to others on this board who have been though plently more than that, but you don't have to remind me or anyone else on this board about the downsides of this gig. Keep that fire though as you progress through your career....unfortunately at the regional level we have to fight for everything they don't think we are worth. Good luck AD

Chipindales---great tips.

I have a few $$ left over from my last jobs retirement fund, I sit at home on reserve (in my underwear) and day trade the NasDaq...in general I make more money doing that than I do as a pilot. It's a little more risky than a second job, but I am here to watch the market. If I get called I sell out and away I go.....

Ever consider a Taxicab driver? Reference the movie, "Look Who's Talking" Work when want to and Good Tips. I do it.:p

Ever consider a Taxicab driver? Reference the movie, "Look Who's Talking" Work when want to and Good Tips. I do it.:p

Hey guys,
Some options, one of which was already mentioned, are being teachers... You can be a Substitute Teacher here in the DFW Metroplex for somewhere around $75.00 to $100.00 a day... All you need to do is pass a background check (which I'm sure an airline pilot can easily do) and you're set to go... Some school districts require a two or four year degree and some require none at all. But remember how you treated your subs when you were a kid and think long and hard about this one. To be honest, the kids you'll be teaching are much like senior airline management that you already deal with... They'll take advantage of you and try to convince you that they're doing you a favor. Hee, hee...
Second, contact your local community college and talk to department heads about being Adjunct Faculty. In this case, you generally teach a class one night a week for the semester, and the pay was about $1500.00 per class, per semester. I once taught a couple of classes and it produced about an extra $1000.00 a month. It was easy and I really, really enjoyed it.
The only other option I have been contemplating is submitting a resume to the Medallin, Columbia drug cartels... There is no sim ride, (though this is where your commercial maneuvers like turns around a "drop spot" will really come in handy) and they wont alert your current crew scheduling to the extra hours you'll be flying. I'm kidding of course.
Good luck and big bucks!
Jason

office manager of a temp agency. Trying to use my worthless degreee to something good.
In hopes of that day when one job IS enough!
Yea right!

Funeral Home "Runner". I've been doing it for about a year now. $12/hr, I say when I'm available, reserve short call while 'running' = no problem, minimal gross stuff, profound personal growth experience (seriously!).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back