Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotguy5

Hello,
I was just curious if anyone has ever done this and how did things work out, good or bad?
I have a full-time flying position and I'm thinking about making the jump to the regionals, however, I'm also thinking about flying for the Ohio State Highway Patrol. I know I won't be flying jets and I'll be working more as a police officer. I'm just more concerned about the QOL that comes with the job and also the pay.
I'm just curious if anyone has had to make this decision and what did you choose?

Thanks,
Ken

Most flying cops have to be cops first...

2 ego's ( a pilot and a cop) is too much for one person.

I couldn't agree more. :) Keep this in mind too, when state's cut the budget the first thing to go is the airplane.

What is the pay? Do you have to go through the academy? Do you feel okay about being the guy giving speeding tickets all day? I know I wouldn't.

The one thing that sounds good is being at home with the fam every night.

Last edited:
Hello,
The starting pay is about $45,000 plus 10% for being a pilot and all the overtime you want. Year 10 goes to $60,000 plus overtime, this is where the airline pilot pay may win, however, if the airline is still in business. I know troopers pulling in around $70,000 to $80,000.
Yes, the academy is 145 days, $12.45/hr plus benefits.
OSHP has about 15 airplanes with more on the way and they just bought a caravan and are all used very often. I doubt they will cut them. I guess it's a possibility though.
It's a tough call, I like flying and would like the best of both worlds.
Just curious if anyone has had to make this decision.

Thanks,
Ken

Work for the Ohio State Patrol as a pilot/law enforcer! Excellent benefits, good salary, good retirement option, etc. In addition, you will make enough to rent an aircraft if you want to continue flying as a hobby.

Hello,
The starting pay is about $45,000 plus 10% for being a pilot and all the overtime you want. Year 10 goes to $60,000 plus overtime, this is where the airline pilot pay may win, however, if the airline is still in business. I know troopers pulling in around $70,000 to $80,000.
Yes, the academy is 145 days, $12.45/hr plus benefits.
OSHP has about 15 airplanes with more on the way and they just bought a caravan and are all used very often. I doubt they will cut them. I guess it's a possibility though.
It's a tough call, I like flying and would like the best of both worlds.
Just curious if anyone has had to make this decision.

Thanks,
Ken
Is there a list of current troopers who have paid their dues waiting to get into the aviation program ahead of you?

Can you go right into the aviation unit or are you gonna have to put your time in and get "selected?"

There was a thread on this a while back....and there were some very good points made. You may want to do a search.

Yeah, I would have to wait 2 years to transfer to any specialty unit i.e. Aviation. I'm not sure about other units, that's just for the OSHP.

Latest resources

Back