Airline Pilot seeks CFI rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

traffic pilot

I am currently employed as a captain at major airline ( red bellys), live in Orlando, let my CFI expire over 20 years ago and want to obtain CFI rating again to teach daughters. I am an idiot for letting this rating expire but where do I start besides flightinfo? Do I have to take written again?

Thanks

Don't think you need to take the written again, but it might be useful to take a CFI reval clinic (on-line or a weekend sit). Then you need to ride with a Fed or a DPE to reinstate whatever CFI tickets you had.

If you're a Company check airman, you might even get a bye on the ride for future revals.

It would be an understatement to say much has changed in twenty years. The good part is airmenship is the same. I recommend attending a CFI ground school to get spooled up in the current way of CFIing.

When was the last time you were in a single engine airplane? Do you feel comfortable (all ego aside) in a "small aircraft" again? If it has been a while go find a good CFI and get some duel to bring your skills back to small aircraft flying.

To re-instate your CFI you do not need to take a written exam but you will need a flight exam by a DE or Inspector. Call around and talk with a few, explain your situation and see what they say. The exam can be conducted in one of the aircraft you have a CFI in. Lets say you have a Single and multi engine CFI. The exam is up to the Examiner or Inspector how much and which aircraft the exam needs to be in. Normally in a single engine aircraft.

I am currently employed as a captain at major airline ( red bellys), live in Orlando, let my CFI expire over 20 years ago and want to obtain CFI rating again to teach daughters. I am an idiot for letting this rating expire but where do I start besides flightinfo? Do I have to take written again?

Thanks

You certainly can take one of the various renewal courses but all you really have to do is get an FAA inspector to ride with you on line.

Do you know the APM on your fleet? Go to the faa.gov Web Site and fill out an 8710, keep it with you and get him or her to fly with you in the jump seat. You must have a tail number ( you can't reinstate in a simulator).

It's that simple.

Good Luck!

You don't have to take the same CFI ride to reinstate it, you can take a CFII or MEI also. Adding a new instructor rating reinstates the old.

You certainly can take one of the various renewal courses but all you really have to do is get an FAA inspector to ride with you on line.

Do you know the APM on your fleet? Go to the faa.gov Web Site and fill out an 8710, keep it with you and get him or her to fly with you in the jump seat. You must have a tail number ( you can't reinstate in a simulator).

It's that simple.

Good Luck!

Absolutely, I can hear it now…

You: Your Honor I took my CFI re-instatement exam during a Part 121 or 135 revenue flight.

Judge: Son, which parts of the CFI PTS did you accomplish during this revenue flight?

You: Well sir, I took off, flew straight and level then landed.

Judge: Did you accomplish any other part of the PTS to accomplish the re-instatement?

You: No Sir.

Judge: You will surrender your CFI, ATP, any type ratings for falsifying your 8710 for not accomplishing the exam. And may I say that (finger pointing) YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

---This has happened in the past.

Oh, and the Inspector would be fired. This also has happened in the past.

P.S. To become an Instructor Pilot you may have taken an exam in the simulator then in the aircraft. Your APM may have used this exam to re-instate your CFI. Guidance from FAA HQ states that an exam can be done part in a simulator if the exam is completed in an aircraft. A line pilot cannot accomplish the required PTS items during a line check. If the Inspector is found doing this he/she will be asking you for a job.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I can hear it now…

You: Your Honor I took my CFI re-instatement exam during a Part 121 or 135 revenue flight.

Judge: Son, which parts of the CFI PTS did you accomplish during this revenue flight?

You: Well sir, I took off, flew straight and level then landed.

Judge: Did you accomplish any other part of the PTS to accomplish the re-instatement?

You: No Sir.

Judge: You will surrender your CFI, ATP, any type ratings for falsifying your 8710 for not accomplishing the exam. And may I say that (finger pointing) YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

---This has happened in the past.

Oh, and the Inspector would be fired. This also has happened in the past.

We are not talking about an initial issuance. We are talking about a renewal based on numerous criteria one of which is being a Captain during 121 operations.
Go to the faa.gov Web Site and check the FSMIS 8900.10.
Your response was cute, but get your facts straight sir...

The response was not ment to be cute, but accurate.

The OP has a 20 year old expired CFI. He does not need to take an Initial CFI exam again but a Re-instatement exam. A re-instatement exam can include any or all parts of the PTS as determined by the Inspector or Examiner conducting the exam. You cannot take a re-instatement exam during a revenue flight because you are not accomplishing the PTS requirements.

You are talking about a Renewal, meaning your CFI is still current but soon to expire. A renewal can be granted because of being a 121 Captain - if that companies procedures have the Captain evaluate pilots for upgade to captain or as an IP or Check Airman evaluate pilots to be maybe recommended for a type rating exam.

I Sir, have my facts stright. Please read the OP again.

Here is the reference of the 8900:

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=A6018EF51590B0008525734F0076665F

And yes, your APM (or POI) can be a great source for CFI renewals. Re-instatements need to be done through a General Aviation OPS Inspector.

Last edited:

Thanks
Going to buy an airplane? recommend the C-150, under powered, you really have to fly it. Taught my son to fly in one. Also Avemco offers hobby CFI insurance coverage with named insured in your family for very reasonable rates. BTW If you took a CFI renewal ride with a DE and you blew the turns about a point you could have bust, bad on your record. Best way to get your CFI back I would go to one of those canned CFIME schools, spend 3 days, take family make it a vacation, the second easiest check ride I ever took. Easiest was my SE ATP in a Grumman Tiger.

Last edited:
The response was not ment to be cute, but accurate.

The OP has a 20 year old expired CFI. He does not need to take an Initial CFI exam again but a Re-instatement exam. A re-instatement exam can include any or all parts of the PTS as determined by the Inspector or Examiner conducting the exam. You cannot take a re-instatement exam during a revenue flight because you are not accomplishing the PTS requirements.

Are climbs, straight and level flight, descents, takeoff's, and landings PART of the PTS? Maybe the Inspector or examiner conducting determined that those parts of the PTS were adequate to re-certify.

Latest resources

Back